I remember black & White TV

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
image.jpg

I still have one of our old phones from when I was a kid. In the early days we were on a "party line". You actually shared the line with some of your neighbors. So, if they were on the phone, you would have to wait till they were done before making a call. Made for some pretty interesting snooping though.

We had a party line until 1980!! I can still remember how happy my family was to get a "private line" lol

I remember getting a B/W TV when I was 8 years old. It got about 3 channels depending on weather with a roof antenna. Also found an online photo of phone similar to what we had on the farm.
9f20e11d635a472d117403cbbe5d93e6.jpg

How things have changed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the party line as well , I also recall after it was gone and we had regular service if you let the phone stay off the hook for an hour the line would go to a "dead letter office" type void where you could talk to whoever was there

I use to tell my friends to take the phone off the hook at 10pm and in an hour I could talk to them for free for as long as we wanted

It was sort of a party line in limbo

here are a couple of cool videos on the web of Creature Features WNEW Channel 5 NY and Chiller Theater WPIX Channel 11 NY

I also was very fortunate to have a Mom who wasn't afraid to give me a good hard slap on the aass when I did something stupid like young boys do..(you know, I "ahem"..uhh...borrowed some sunglasses from a store once, accidentally set the pumphouse on fire me and my buddy burning beetles with strong sun rays and a magnifying glass, caught some dry leaves on fire...boom..up she went, took Mrs. Monroe's car out for a little joyride when I was only 12) ....stuff like that.

Slap your kid on the .... today...you're reported and advised of his rights, get a visit from social services and might do time for child abuse....:43:
YIKES
yeah...a lot has changed.

Man how times have changed, I think the things they put on TV really has shaped some of the younger generation into people that we really don't want our kids around .

Back