I really want a 24" BMX....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I went to a swap meet today, and saw a really clean, chrome 24" Redline. I've wanted a 24" BMX for years, and the guy wouldn't budge from $160.00. I thought (and still do) think it's a fair price, so I took his number. I have no idea what year it is, but the frame, fork, bars, 1pc cranks, pedals, seat, post and clamp were all stamped with the RL logo. I only saw one sticker on the frame, which was on one of the chainstays, and it read "4130 chromoly". The chrome looked spotless, it had Araya alloy wheels, and new tires. He had it sort of strapped down so I couldn't see the serial number, but it looked like it was under the botton bracket. I should probably go to one of the BMX sites, but does anyone here have any knowledge on Redline bikes? I know when I was a kid, they were one of the better brands, and everyone wanted Flight cranks. If I buy this, I'm gonna keep it so I can ride it when my kid rides his GT, instead of "the old man bike" he calls my Schwinn cruiser.

you cannot go wrong with a chromoly RL cruiser!Do you remember if the neck was a 1 1/8'' or was it 1'' like your Schwinn?What kind of brakes were on it?Was it a cantilever like on your Schwinn or was it a v-brake?This will tell you whether or not it is a mid 90s or older.I havent seen a cruiser go that cheap in awhile.Might be a good investment for you for sure!!!If hes not too far from you,maybe get some pics and post them up and see what info we can give to you.

I don't recall the size of the fork. The stem had 6 bolts clamping the bars down, and it did have v-brakes. I know older would be cooler, but I was kinda thinking mid to late 90s because of the brakes. That's fine with me, since I;m looking at it as a keeper.

With the 6 bolt stem,and v-brakes it sounds like a 94.I have the same stem on my RL Proline.I would grab it and build it for sure!!They have 3 pc RL sealed chrome cranks on sale right now for $114 bucks+ shipping.It wouldnt take much to make a killer ride out of it.And if you decided to sell it later down the road you wont have any problems.I just saw one on CL going for $350 and it wasnt on there too long before it was gone.I have a 24'' RL Proline fork,now all I need is the frame!HAHA.Hope you get it,and post up some pics!!

..Let see here ..

Mine Redline 94 chromoly PL 24'' cruiser came from Cailf .

I traded him for a Redline brute stem and $300 for the bike ......The man don't know how to ,Package that good ....When i got it and ,Open it up ...Man' I was pretty ,Glad and Piss off at the same time ....The way he package every thing ...Uncall for ....any way ....I am glad i got it ....I been injoying it till this day ....Yep a ,Short guy on a Cruiser ...I just got tired of having 20'' inch's bikes .I wanted a cruiser ...and ,now we have 2 ....

Scwhin 83 predator 24'' oldbmx cruiser

Redline 95 24'' cruiser ....

Still littering on this site with your mumbo jumbo only you can understand phrases, yay its Donald ray..
:mrgreen:

So, I called the guy with the bike a couple of times, and left messages. Never got a call back. Sold a few things during the week on CL, so I've got more than enough cash to get the bike. Go to the swap, look around, and see someone walking around with a 24" chrome BMX bike. I get close enough to tell it isn't the Redline, so I proceed to look for the guys spot (he's a regular there, flips bikes and has new import parts). Find the guy, and don't see the Redline. I ask him, and he tells me he sold it. So I'm bummed, tell him I called and left messages. he responds with something about trouble with his phone. So I think, maybe I'll find the guy with the other one I saw earlier. I run into hime at another booth, and I see the bike he has. It's a Hutch Exel 24. My heart skips a beat....or two. So ask the guy, he, wanna sell the bike? Sure, he says, $400.00. :shock: I laughed, and the guy says you know what it is? Of course, I tell him. I was hoping he didn't. So we talk about bikes a little bit, and I check it out. No serial number, and he says the forks are Powerlite. But, it's got cheap steel coaster brake wheels, stem, bars, and seat. The only worth anything is the frame and forks. So now I'm wondering.....did he find it before me, or did he bring it with him to get any bites to sell it? I got there pretty early, and most of the vendors were still setting up. I think he scored a frame and fork, and threw it together to sell.
On a plus side, when I was investigating a really rough but complete (except for wheels) Schwinn Deluxe Twinn for $125 obo, the guy in one booth over says, you like Schwinns? Yes, I tell him. Me too, he says, cruisers. I perk up a little. He works at a body shop, and strips and paint cruisers, puts all new parts, and sell them. I like em with original parts, I tell him. I have some at home, he says. Turns out he live a few miles from me. I got his number, so hopefully I'll score some parts!!

Too bad on the Redline.But holy monkey on the Hutch 24!!!Well worth the money even if they were junk parts on it!Did it have the engraved HUTCH in the brake bridge!!??You should have scored that if you had the money.not too many of those floatng around at all,and you could get your money back REAL fast!

Yeah, it was engraved on the brake bridge, and I did think for a brief minute about trying to flip it. I think the only palce I'd ever seen a 24" Hutch was in magazines when I was a kid.

Yeah would have been very cool.Definetly not too many of them around.I AM OWL on this site has a real nice white one.Would love to have one one day.

Go back and buy that Hutch. If the chrome is even decent, you'll make money on that f/f all day long.

Back