I Picked Up That Western Flyer I was Asking About,...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a little ride down to SC the other night and picked up a Western Flyer that was on C-List. Not sure if I can honestly tell that its a repop, all the decals except the ones on the tank are water transfer. The Serial number on the bottom brackett looks to be half stamped into the metal and I honestly can't make it out, It's a double set of numbers. Tank is made of nice thick steel, thicker than what is used on chaingaurds and has zero dents anywhere and the paint doesn't have that real hard shine like the newer bikes have. Would like to know for sure either way though. I made a few changes. I put a new set of Highstop wheels and new white walls on it, also, peddles and a smaller front chain ring, 44t, the 50t that was on there was way to hard to get going, worked out great, the chainring was painted black from the factory and I chemical stripped it and underneath was a nice sating chrome finish, I think it works out great on this bike. Fortunately the seat post tube was a 7/8th and I had a nice lay back post to put on it, as well as a more comfortable seat then the Persons seat that was on there, it is still in really nice condition. Overall a really nice bike and I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Super great riding bike, Heres a few pics,...
SGW-100CASIO845.jpg

SGW-100CASIO846.jpg

SGW-100CASIO847.jpg

The main thing you can tell that it is a repop is that the chainguard is a lot smaller compared to an original :wink: Also, that's the color of a repoped one :mrgreen: Still a cool bike :D Enjoy 8)

Probably the biggest clue that it's a repop is the rear fender. They never used those 3/4 length fenders until the later 60s middleweights, and more recently the 80s cruisers. Plus, it's a Westfield/Columbia design, and the only WF's I've seen were late 50s middleweights, like this one I have:
collection3010.jpg

Not that there's anything wrong with them, still retro. -Adam

Cool, I had my doubts, I like it all the same though, really cool bike. Anyone know where the repops were made? This frame is exactly identical down to the detail as my 86 repop Columbia rx-5 that was made at the original Westfield bike factory by the same tools and molds as the originals. :?:

CarolinaGuy said:
Where'd you pick that up in SC?

A guy in Little River had it on Wilmington NC Craigslist. 8)

I had emailed that guy down in Myrtle Beach about the same bike and was in the process of seting up a time to look at it but he sent me a email back and told me somebody had already bought it! I guess you are the one who beat me to it! Lol! Good looking bike you have there! Where in NC are you located?

Original would have a 13/16" seat post, a longer rear fender with 2 struts and a reflector mounted on it, Columbia 5-spoke sprocket, no distinct flange where the crank enters the sprocket, etc. Parts can be changed, but the seat post tube passing through the top tube is a very distinct feature of the original Westfield frames, I assume it was changed for simplicity of manufacturing.

Back