I ordered a new bike!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That bike looks great, so does Phrang's new bike. I've never seen that Schwinn frame. That was a BMX?
My next build is going to be a mini with off road capability and be heavier because of the rims. My handlebars and stem are similar to yours, I really need the height.
I wonder if these bikes would fit in a suitcase if you removed the forks.
After riding on and off all day I think everyone needs a mini velo. It’s so easy to get it in and out of my house. My neighborhood is easier to get around in to. I’d say definitely build one, you’ll be happy you did! My face hurts from smiling, and my ears hurt from the cold air rushing by as I zoom around. I’ll have to get used to that :)

This is the one I made for my wife recently, and I have another 24" frame with 26" forks that is getting some parts today to make up just about the same bike, only not as pretty.
p kendas.JPG

A beautiful coastal spring sunset after a day of getting my new deathtrap dialed in. :)View attachment 153033
Good looking quality bike! Still playing around with bars. The straights that came with my bike were a bit low. Has a shorter head tube for aero.

I mention the Torch tires because they have some tread. I got them to replace slicks for riding in autumn over leaves. Slicks are terrible on sand as well. Kept them on all year they worked so good. Also a Silkworm design for increasing puncture and tear resistance.

The other day I was on a salsa/chip mission, grabbed $ and the bike. Forgot a lock and wheeled the bike through the store with me. Made it past the registers... like a small dog:bigsmile:

I've never seen that Schwinn frame. That was a BMX?
My next build is going to be a mini with off road capability and be heavier because of the rims. My handlebars and stem are similar to yours, I really need the height.
Formula 1 BMX sanctioned racing didn't last long, which is why the events and bikes are not well known. Races took place on flat parking lots around cones. About a dozen manufactures produced bikes for racing in the late 80's.

Small wheels are less efficient for off-roading. Road debris left from winter on the trails bogged me down allowing big wheelers to easily pass.

Ever ride a mini velo against a 26" off road?

I didn't think so.
Dude, why the animosity? All I did was provide a link to a historically significant bike pertinent to the ongoing discussion. One member said they wanted to build a mini velo with off road capabilities, and I think it is a cool idea. Not even slightly interested in how it would stack up in a race against a 26. I don't race my 26er against bigger bikes either.
Here's another pic of one being ridden off road.
-victor-vincente-america-colt2020.jpg

Dude, why the animosity? All I did was provide a link to a historically significant bike pertinent to the ongoing discussion. One member said they wanted to build a mini velo with off road capabilities, and I think it is a cool idea. Not even slightly interested in how it would stack up in a race against a 26. I don't race my 26er against bigger bikes either.
Here's another pic of one being ridden off road.
View attachment 153078
That bike looks like one of mine, wasn't made for 20" wheels but was modified. I'd prefer a frame and fork that are made new as a velo, but the price for even a bare frameset is way past my budget. I've had a few folders over the years, and I looked like that circus bear riding them before I dropped some weight.

Lol I get it, looked the same on my 250cc twin motorcycle.
And the Topanga frame was made by Victor specifically for those wheels. He also did a "mullet" version.
tumblr_ngsjrkXcym1rk6u99o2_1280.jpeg

Look how short the chain stays are, not likely that you could fit much more tire in there.

Last edited:
I picked up some new pedals yesterday, I ordered a new seat that should be arriving any day now, I also ordered some trailer hitch parts that should be arriving any day now. Oh! And also new tires. Today I think I’m going to order a new stem. I stripped one of the screws so I have a hard time trusting it. I found a replacement that is a little bit longer, with a bit more angle. It will be a more aggressive riding position, but I should have a little more room.
D61731F3-E33D-440A-942F-13F2AD073198.jpeg

Back