i need to add a link back in chain....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i accidentally popped the link out all the way....is there any way pop it back into a link???, or do i have to buy another chain, its too short now and its making the tire rub on the frame since i had to move the tire up to link it......i know i should have not popped it out but i wasnt paying attention :oops:
any help is appriciated..

Ya it is super hard to get it back in. A vice, swearing, hammer more swearing probably wont work. Get a chain break and remove a bit from another chain and add it your messed up chain.

It is easier to use another bit of chain so you will have it with the pin sticking out part way. I have put pins back in that have come all the way out though. You have to use your chain-break tool and tweezers to hold the pin just over the hole while you press it back in with the chain tool.

Yes it can be done,but it takes the patience of a Saint to do it.

Save yourself from making up curse words and just get another chain.

My worthless opinion... (been there done that)

It's possible, but man is it difficult. You'd be way better off just taking a link from another chain rather than busting up your sanity over an eight hour period trying to get the one pin back in. I usually add or remove links in pairs and usually never push a pin out more than 3/4 out of the outer link. But like you, I learned about keeping the pin 1/4 installed the hard way.

Another option is to buy a masterlink, which usually only cost about a buck. I never use masterlinks though as they tend to attract much gunge and I feel the ruin the aesthetics of the smooth chain line.

Back