I need restoration help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a girls 1940 Elgin fully equipped. The bike has been sprayed blue. Everything including the spokes. The frame, fenders, and forks are all pretty straight. There is a little rust on the handlebars, chainwheel, and crank which but can polished up pretty easily. My problem is the paint. My wife and I want to keep some of the things original, like the seat, handlebars, rims, etc. How can I repaint it so as to not make it look "too new". I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks, Rocky

First, I'd try to remove the blue paint. There are things you can use to remove the blue without damaging the original paint underneath. Easy-Off oven cleaner is the one mentioned most. I would try some on a hidden area, like underneath the frame. If it works, I'd disassemble the whole bike and do every part. Messy job but if the paint is half way good underneath, it would be worth it. Gary

Thanks Gary. Removing the blue is most certainly my first and most desired option. I'm just needing a Plan B.

Make sure you wear gloves & eye protection using oven cleaner. It not only removes paint, but skin also!! :!:

Latest posts

Back