i need info on road bike brake levers? noob here

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok so I have a road bike that i am fixing up to ride to work.. it has the old style brake levers the drop with the drop bar and come along the top bar. i do kinda like being able to use the lever along the top bar. but why is it that all road bikes now only have to single brake lever on each side..please give me info...i have $60 to spend on my bike and dont know what to get?
it rides like a dream but looking to upgrade at least the brakes

here is what i have so far. new tubes and tires, used brake calipers and new pads, chain, new seat. cycling computer.

DSCN8877.jpg

Those are called safety levers, they weren't that safe so they aren't manufactured anymore, if you are used to more of an upright riding position try riser handlebars. Sheldon Brown has a better understanding of the lever, google him and safety levers.

I have an old road bike myself with those type of brake levers on it I rather like them. I did same upgrades myself pads etc but also put new cables as well made a world of difference with the performance on it nice and tight now. If you haven't done so get a set of cables they are cheap and so worth it. By the way what kind of bike is it? Nice lookin ride

This might be something like what you are looking for read the little article on interrupters they are a more modern update to the safety style levers of the 70s. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_i-k.html#interrupter

Looks like Old "Weinmann" Brake Levers for Racing Bikes.
They were Build for Racebikes ,not a good idea to mount them on a straight bar or something like that!
Because the Flyway are to Short from Lever to Bar :roll: "You need a Horn for them" !

Sry for my Bad English :roll:

Greetz from Germany

Chrsitain :idea:

Back