I need help with a Nexus 3 speed hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I need a little help with a nexus 3 speed coaster brake hub.
My dad has my Electra townie with a 3 speed nexus coaster brake hub. He took the rear wheel off to install a set of fenders. Now he can't get the bike to shift gears. I read online that you are supposed to shift the hub into first gear before removing the wheel. I'm pretty sure he had it in 2nd or 3rd gear. I can't get the darn thing to shift.
Does anyone have any advice on how to get this thing to work again?
Thanks in advance.
Pat

Do a quick search on google and you will find how to adjust it with pictures and explanation. Here is a quick run down though since it is all the same components that where on there before Ill tell you what I would do: Put the shifter in 2nd gear, loosen the rear shifter bell housing and make sure the red mark in the shifter pin is between the yellow marks on the sight glass of the bell housing. You should be set after that.

If that doesn't work then readjust the cable by loosening the slack pin in front of the bell housing and adjusting till the shifter pin is between the yellow marks.

I've found the yellow line being set between the yellow marks while shifted in 2nd gear to be far more important than the inner red line setting.

This video explains it fairly well:

Thanks for the help. Now I will have to get some free time to see if I can get it back in working order.

Looks like its off to the bike shop for this one. I adjusted and adjusted the cable but it never shifted right. I can get it to shift from 2nd to 3rd but it wont downshift until you apply the brakes. When its in 2nd gear something clicks loudly. Worse case scenario I do have an extra hub but I really don't want to have to lace it up to his wheel. Plus I don't know if that hub is any good. I found it at goodwill which surprised me.

I think a trip to the LBS is probably a good decision in this case.

My usual suggestion for someone with a malfunctioning Nexus 3 is to get a Sturmey AWC.... maybe your shop'll have more helpful advice for ya.

Latest posts

Back