I need help before my first build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to start my first build and it is a little ambitious but hey why not dive in. I took my first bike apart today so I am learning EVERYTHING about bikes. I have very limited welding experience and absolutely no metal working. I do have a lot of mechanical experience and I am fast learner. I am planning on welding 2 frames together and making a low long bike similar to the Dos Amigos in the build forum. I have and old schwinn diamond frame and another old ladies cruiser frame. I practiced welding on an old huffy BMX frame and the metal just melted away. Will I run into the same thing with the frames I'm using in my build? Is there anything I can do to counter this? Also the huffy rear wheel is the kind where you brake by pushing back on the pedal. Can I lace the hub into the 26" wheel to keep that style of brake? I'm sure there will be more questions once I start but I will put them in the build thread. These are just some things I wanted to know before I ruin the material I have, especially the welding.

HooKTroniC said:
Also the huffy rear wheel is the kind where you brake by pushing back on the pedal.

Called a "coaster brake".

HooKTroniC said:
Can I lace the hub into the 26" wheel to keep that style of brake?

If the hub and the rim have the same amount of holes you can. Is the coaster brake hub currently on a smaller wheel? You'll probably need different size spokes.

Good luck with your project.

....AND....Randy's answer above is a perfect example of why I already think so highly of this site. No attitiude, just comraderie. Much props!!!!! :D :D

Before you "cut", think about it, in your mind for hours, draw pics in your mind, then on paper. Your going to come up with a number of ideas. Then you"ll have trouble deciding which one to do!...................You'll pick the right one, for you. If you mess up, so what. START over. 8)

Back