I live in Western Colorado!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the Western Slope of Colorado, town called Grand Junction. I'm trying to find success as a painter and cartoonist but I really enjoy working on bikes. Rescuing them from people's garages and neglect, fixing them up and sending them on their way or adding them to the quiver. While not all of them are rats here are a few that could qualify.

I'll be riding this one in Denver Saturday at the Tour de Fat, threw it together out of some junk frames and parts pile stuff last weekend. This is my first cut and weld bicycle project and in my haste I didn't plan it out very well. So it's not exactly what I had envisioned. Almost, but not nearly low enough and maybe a bit too recumbant-y. It is a kick to ride and people seem to like it. Will likely do some bondo work to the frame and maybe some pin-striping and gold leafing for a 60's Ed Roth look. For now, it's one color, good enough.:

bluecustom.jpg

Rusty Fixie, An old Nishiki Century frame that looked like it took a dive off a roof mount bike rack, denting the frame in a few spots. I ground off the canti-studs sandblasted it and gave it the rust treatment. All the parts have been upgraded with mostly stuff that was lying around the house. But it features my first wheel build in the rear:

rustyfixie.jpg

The Anti-beater, a trash find 80's MTB frame with some expensive and custom parts. Originally built to be a leave anywhere bike but I've reconsidered this, a blast to commute on, can take the skate park, retro urban assault. Still undecided whether I need a rear brake, thus the canti-posts and cable braze-ons are still there, rearmost one covered in a scrap of bar tape after it snagged my pants. :x :

MtnProject2.jpg

Two pictures because I dig it.

MtnProject.jpg

I've built a ton of bikes and currently have quite a pile of rideable bikes and potential project bikes. A couple Schwinns, a 59 cruiser and a 79 Klunker survivor, built up in the 80's by some guy in Crested Butte. Two early 90's MTBs, some fendered girly cruisers, two other fixed gears, one mostly stock Fuji Track that has actually seen the Velodrome and one not quite built up conversion that I'm still doing some thinking on. An 80's Peugeot road bike that I'm using til I find some of the spendier bits for my Specialized road frame. And more modern Jamis hardtail MTB. Going to be doing a burrito soon. Now that I've scoured the forum for ideas. :D

I'm also into vintage German cars. Have a hopped up 1974 BMW 2002 and a 1971 VW Karmann Ghia. And a 71 Honda CB350 cafe racer...

And now, I'll probably lurk for a while. Thanks for the forum!

heya, welcome to rat rods! good selection of bikes, what you got in store for them?

i was soo excited when i read you live in grand junction, when i was living out in colorado i rescued two Real Artic wolves from grand juntion, they live at a sanctuary near Pueblo and westcliffe now, if you've , heard of it =) funnily enuff the guy we picked em up from had awsome finds in his yard, loads of pre-war bikes n did his casting making great conraptions of vehicles lol.

:D

Back