i like 'em shiny!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do respect patina, but I find I like clean, shiny bikes better. I've been warned that loving clean, re-painted bikes could cause a forfeiture of my "rat" card.

My argument is " to each his own". But I do feel as though significantly more work is involved with refinishing. And I also feel that lack of symmetry is kinda lax and ugly.

It's just an opinion.

So what says ratrodbikes users?

I also prefer shiny, new-looking bikes if they're less than 15 years old.
If they're older, then I can appreciate the ratrod look with an extra helping of patina.

I like shiney and blingy!!!!! A lot of guys dig rust, they will say "Rust is life." To me, rust is the beginning of the end! :wink:

Sometime shiny is good and sometimes rusty is good...... The color of the paint I use most is clear.
Got a couple I did paint or cover.

I like rust ....spray clear gloss over it,.....shiney rust ...I like shiney and I like rust.......shiney rust :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like 'em rusty, no clear, little to no paint left, just beautiful patina.
PC100265.jpg

I have to agree with Udall. I like 'em any way they come, rusty, shiny, old, new, low buck, high dollar. Its a bike enjoy it for what it is.

outskirtscustoms said:
PC100265.jpg

..right on,....did you have any trouble installing tha rear derailer onto that bike?...I'm about ready to try that on my next build.
thanks

rusty1 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
PC100265.jpg

..right on,....did you have any trouble installing tha rear derailer onto that bike?...I'm about ready to try that on my next build.
thanks

No trouble at all, I used the type that has a little cog that fits into the dropout like are used with many cheap bikes, Other than that it was mostly cable routing with a few zip ties, mounting brakes witch I haven't done yet, swapping out the chain ring to a thinner one, and of coarse putting on a longer and thinner chain.

"I Don't Do RUST!" Can't help myself - I look at a rusty bike and all I see is the potential after I clean all the parts. I don't grind because I don't like the look of grind marks, scratches and swirls on bare metal. I soak mine in white vinegar, brush off the loose and repeat until it's perfectly clean (including every nut & bolt). A quick clear coat and all the parts reassemble like they are brand new and look great too!

Warning : this is very labor intensive - only the patient survive.

Is this the new trend on RAT Rod Bikes to discuss the validity of patina or paint?

This is the second thread on this subject that I have seen this week. It looks to me as some members are getting their jollies by stirring up members. Based on the members reactions it seems to be a defensive and negative vibe throughout the two threads. It appears CABE reflecks the same vibe in my opinion. I for one would like to see this antagonizing stop. Many of us are here for creativity and uniqueness regardless of finish! I'd post this same responce on the "I don't get Rat Rods whatever" thread but it would be redundent.

Very respecfully,

Grey old man Jack Rat Kuttnhack

( grey and old might have some wisdom so don't discount age over youth)

Like I said, patina has validity. And I make no statements about what is rat or not. I've been restoring bicycles since 1986, and have never preserved rustiness. Not that I wouldn't, but my personal projects required paint. There's no point clearing over paint so bad that it's lost all mechanical adhesion. The point of finishing is structural, unfinished metal oxidizes.

That said, this is a thread about personal preferences, not about bashing patina. In fact, my next project is all kinds of rusty. This was more about me deciding whether or not to acid bath and media blast it, or leave it rusty.

i do like 'em shiny, but mostly i like them to work.

i tend to piece bikes together, making them more rideable as i go. then once they ride good i don't feel like taking them apart again just to paint them. i will eventually (i think), i just have a hard time making myself do it.

I went to body shop school back in the 70's, and repaired alotta rusty cars, which lead me to buy a Ziebart Rustproofing franchise. So I was in the ANTI rust business. I have stayed touching up cars also. I got outta the retail drag, and now do commercial maintenance. Anywho, what I am getting at is the fact that I want all my bikes shiny! I have one ratrod right now, and it drives me CRAZY.But Im heading back to work next week, after being off for 3 months taking care of my health, and Im not gonna tear that one down now. Maybe next year.....Shiny bikes RULE!!!!

Back