I found it!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been wanting to build a boardtrack racer for some time now but the only thing standing in my way was a cool engine. I had one of those kits off of ebay and well it was fun it wasn't what I was looking for. Too small, a two stroke and it didn't look right in that much frame space. I was on craigslist searching around and I found this badboy! I traded a huge clinton 12 hp engine for it, it was to big to use on a bike anyways
2013-02-08_15-13-03_639_zpsa6a5603b.jpg
It's an old wisconsin engine with an external magneto. I'm also wondering if I can somehow use the old peerless three speed I have out in the shop on this too
2013-02-08_15-13-09_737_zpsa0e41a10.jpg
I think this will be the perfect engine for my build, now to find someone with a tubing bender so I can get a downtube made up. Here it is with some forks and half a frame against it. The tank is coming off as well all the sheet metal and I'm going to look into getting the fins removed from the flywheel
2013-02-08_19-03-15_398_zps643c9aff.jpg

It's an old Fairbanks Morse magneto, I think its a 5.5 h.p. engine. The weight and size of it shouldn't be a problem for me, I'm a tall guy and dwarf most bikes when I'm on them. Now I just need to start thinking of how to have the frame :lol:

Very cool little motor! Love the mag., that set up should clean up nice. That muffler would look cool with a chrome parts store exhaust pipe tip on it!

Brisk Eddie said:
Very cool little motor! Love the mag., that set up should clean up nice. That muffler would look cool with a chrome parts store exhaust pipe tip on it!
The muffler has already been tossed away in my mind, it's going to have a nice short dump with some baffles welded into it I think but then who knows? I'm the kind of guy who will go 180 on a build if I get a part that is cool but won't look the part on it. Only time will tell how this one ends :lol:

Well as I said before, my builds can take quite a change sometimes. I went into an antiques store and saw this little gem in the corner
2013-02-12_15-03-22_614_zps1792fb6e.jpg
A 2hp Lauson. I think it's pre war from what I read online. So I might end up using this one first just because it's older and about half the size of the other engine. The little thing has some great compression, it about shot the pull rope threw the shop wall when it caught on the compression stoke.
2013-02-12_15-04-15_500_zpsea479944.jpg

That's a cool little mill! :D

Reading this motorized bike thread stirs my creative juices, I might have to give it a try after my current klunker build is up and running.

Beau said:
Very cool little engine, but probably underpowered.
I think 2hp isn't alot but I think it should push a bike and rider around at an ok clip, it's about what the bikes from the early teens had.

Acually back when i was a teen ( in the 50's ) most run a washingmachine motor and they were only 5/8 or 3/4 Hp. They were good for 20mph or better. Sure was fun and the only ones you could find were home made unless they were friction drive kits that were eathe on front or rear wheel. Infact the home made ones were made with a old car generator with the casing cutout so the armeture would run aginest the rear tire. Had a belt form the engine back to the rear generator that piveted to lift up to act as a clutch. Then in the late 50's i got a Monark twin ( sure wish i had it today ) they were about 2Hp and it went about 35 mph.
I think that Lawson should do a great job push the bike around they had a lot of tourq with a little match porting and a different carb,with about a 6" intake like the junior drager use it would do realy good...........Curt

curtisfox said:
Acually back when i was a teen ( in the 50's ) most run a washingmachine motor and they were only 5/8 or 3/4 Hp. They were good for 20mph or better. Sure was fun and the only ones you could find were home made unless they were friction drive kits that were eathe on front or rear wheel. Infact the home made ones were made with a old car generator with the casing cutout so the armeture would run aginest the rear tire. Had a belt form the engine back to the rear generator that piveted to lift up to act as a clutch...
thanks, that is a way cool idea... where there is a will there is a way..

I originally tried to run a Brigs 5s. It was rated at .8-1 h.p.

You will have to run a different carb more than likely. These carbs are usually designed to run at a single r.p.m. and don't have high and low speed setting on the carb. It' not a huge deal adapting the right carb, but it can be a pain to get them tuned.

Super cool engine though! I'd give it a shot either way.

I would beaf up the oil diper make it bigger. I had a 1 1/2 hp briggs back in the 50's and ported it out unhooked the govener and increast the speed from 25 to 35. But it also flatend the crank from over reving ( only 15 then didn't know much and nobody else did eather ) With good oil they have today shouldn't have trouble. They are doing it all the time with the new Honda's and the clones.

I Love what you are doing and should be a realy neet bike when done...............Curt

Well I had the day off and was out in the shop for a bit and took the shroud and tank off of the engine today to see what it looked like
2013-03-01_18-28-39_532_zps912b8675.jpg
fins on the flywheel are going to get removed and it will get polished and some sort of guard on it and the ignition plate will get trimed to fit too. Good idea on the oil dipper Curt, I was thinking about doing that to it too. Now I need to find a place that sells tubing I could use to make my frame mods and I still need to get a tubing bender of some sorts.
I also started to throw this together so I can cruse with a buddy that has one
2013-03-04_17-53-39_567_zpsb0e04062.jpg
I'm going to polish the engine maybe or paint it black, who knows :lol: It's one of the older engine kits and looks to be better quality than the last e-bay engine kit I had

Got a frame the little green machine fits into very nicely, now to make up some engine mounts and frame gussets. Here is a picture of it sitting in place held up with a bungie cord lol
2013-03-21_15-34-01_590_zps8e674ff7.jpg
And here is another one that heyslugger and me are working on together
workman_zps13dcfb14.jpg
sorry about the bad picture, my sister took it with her new phone but I will get some better ones soon!

Well I did some work to the engine today. Hows it look now? I removed the cooling fins off the flywheel and polished it up and also removed the now useless shroud mounting part on the ignition plate
IMG_20130327_185253_442_zpsb1e5cb64.jpg
Another cool thing I found out about this engine while I had it somewhat apart.... CHECK THIS OUT!!!!!!!
IMG_20130327_121144_501_zps5a2ae4fb.jpg
I thought that was so cool I had to share!

Good job on the fins, looks like they were never there.
Surprised to see real bearings!
What motor is that? Any idea what it came off of?

Latest posts

Back