BO15 I Can't Afford the Gas

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some mock ups, some fender work, and then more mock ups with fenders placed ( not bolted yet )and a few different seats.
94a09d28af2eaaa180981065c819744e.jpg

f9aef1f4cd399554c2b47229218f5783.jpg

e49b41620e5b5700bd5c76ef54c339f9.jpg

9a24c3aacbda3129676e42bed6d19138.jpg

36a7c727bd6f29e6542b5df6deea2e22.jpg

8c5b562fbba301a4c6f0e7a8c43e12ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job on bobbing the fender. I always liked the old Frisco choppers look which is what I am seeing in your build. I like the black seat for color and the brown seat for looking "right" for the build. I wonder if you could get the color of the fork to match the frame with some careful propane torch work.

Great fender bobbing and the brown seat and grips compliment it well! The fork looks good in there. Shaping up well!
RaT oN~!

Nice job on bobbing the fender. I always liked the old Frisco choppers look which is what I am seeing in your build. I like the black seat for color and the brown seat for looking "right" for the build. I wonder if you could get the color of the fork to match the frame with some careful propane torch work.

Thanks CT. I cut the fender in half, but I wish now that I would have given the back fender a little more length. But I don’t mind the way the look now. I’ve heard of people using heat to “yellow” or age white paint before. I will keep that idea in mind. I’ve also been doing a little research on “aging wax.”

So, I thought my fenders needed some personality, and I’ve had luck with racing stripes on them in past builds, however, this is the first time I’ve had to try and match colors AND try and make the stripes look worn / old.
Although the color of my rims and accent paint on the frame are “cream” they’re different. I found 1 paint that matches the rims better ( Heirloom White ) and 1 that matches the frame better ( Ivory ). So I figured if I used both paints on the fenders, it would match both and maybe blend the two together.
I started with a thin coat of Heirloom white, followed by sanding, re-taping, and then a shot of Ivory, followed by more sanding.
The last picture here has the rim and frame in the shot so you can see how they matched ( or didn’t match ). I think it looks pretty good. The base coat of Heirloom white bleeds through the ivory just enough for the rims, and there’s enough of the top coat of Ivory to relate to the frame.
I pounded out a few of the dents because they made the fender look like it had ringworm, but for the most part I left it beat up. The drawback on this is that I think it gives the illusion that my stripes are crooked.
fd1953b440c21a7c20744106a170873c.jpg

3443e8d61c29567eebe506aa41b86d06.jpg

f9506b09fe42ba627cddfa005ffd43f3.jpg

c874ac51db1b2c2a3931622436dd1aec.jpg

4911b9ecb7c6a11c0b788dc40881f2f7.jpg

I really like the patina effect you were able to achieve on the fenders. I think once they are mounted, you'll never have that uninterrupted top view that you do in tge photo, and it won't give that illusion that the stripes are uneven.

Color matching has been challenging, tedious, and also kind of fun. I was complaining about all the dents in my front fender in an earlier post, but I think it’s rough condition helped with the faux-tina. The rear fender, which was protected by the chain and seat stays, is relatively dent-free, and it’s been more challenging to get a more authentic, aged look for the racing stripes.
I’m now using three different t whites to match it the best that I can.
41e6d30446d2c099fa918afd0690f7a8.jpg

Classic Kustom build right here, love it !!!

I see you split the fender on Tuesday. Nice Two-Fer Tuesday work!!! The bobbed fenders look slick and I really like the patina double-wide trailer stripes on them.

Thanks Scribble and Kingfish.
I actually would have rather had slightly thinner stripes, but because of the stock pinstripes, I had to extend the stripes out to cover them.

Really coming together SG! The fork stands out a little too much in my eye, could you rub it a bit in places for some 'worn' look, and maybe a little amber colored varnish over the top to add sort of the brownish / yellowish hues that show up on your frame? I really like the shape of it and it fits your frame and fenders well!
RaT oN~!

Really coming together SG! The fork stands out a little too much in my eye, could you rub it a bit in places for some 'worn' look, and maybe a little amber colored varnish over the top to add sort of the brownish / yellowish hues that show up on your frame? I really like the shape of it and it fits your frame and fenders well!
RaT oN~!

I agree with you on the fork. BUT, I’m waiting for some dart stencils to arrive in the mail that [mention]Dr. Tankenstein [/mention] turned me on to. I was going to do the darts and then attack it to rough it up a bit. AND, I did see that you were talking about the amber varnish in another thread, so I was already looking at that stuff and thinking it might be worth a try. Do you brush that on? Or use a rag? I’ve never used varnish on anything.

Back