HUTCH!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Body: Kokomo, In... Mind: in the gutter. Soul: in
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just scored this frame and crank for $40!
HUTCH002.jpg

HUTCH001.jpg

HUTCH003.jpg

HUTCH004.jpg

Threw some parts at it and went for a ride! I'm on cloud 9 right now. Such a light and smooth bike.
HUTCH2001.jpg

HUTCH2004.jpg

HUTCH2002.jpg

HUTCH2003.jpg

Rat Rod said:
Original decals too. :lol:
It has an identity crisis, it's a Hutch Judge with a Gt sticker on the top tube, then says expert which was a Mongoose. Now to make it worse it has a hyperco stem and bars, Royce union fork, and Schwinn wheels.

CRASH said:
Did you have to sell your own blood to get the money? And are those your Hobbit feet in the picture? :lol:
Kinda, sold that ladies Elgin I just got to fund this endeavor. Yes those are my hairy hobbit feet and my beer gut too. :lol:

Thanks tin, I love this bike. When he said $40 I about had a heart attack. I guess I'll tell the back story now.

The way it all started was I was out riding looking for a piece of metal so I could make a drop stand for my ladies Elgin, I stopped at the scrapyard and couldn't find anything like I wanted so I went to Handy Hardware. They were having a yard sale next to the building so I stopped, bought two crossbow pistols for $5 with arrows and saw next door was having a garage sale too. He had a nice 24" DK General Lee sitting in the corner of the garage. I saw it and said

Me: Hey I like your bike there.
Him: Yeah I got about $1,100 in it, double wall rims, 3 piece crank, (on and on) You into BMX bikes?
Me: Yeah but mostly the older stuff.
Him: I got a few older frames and some parts if you'd be interested.
Me: I'll take a look, what do you got? (Starting to get excited)

We look at a few he had a nice Predator looked like a 24" but he said the fork won't fit a 24"? Who knows, a few Dyno's, few GT's, then as he pulls down the Hutch he says

Him: I'd have to get some good money for this one.
Me: What's "Good money" on it? ( starting to think he's gonna throw me a heavy number)
Him: $40
(In the back of my mind) Did he forget a zero or is he hitting on me?
I take it in hand and start to look it over.
Me: I'll definitely buy that when I get paid if you still have it.
Him: Oh you're the first person to see it in years. I'll hold it for you. It'll be right up here. (He hangs it back on the rafter.)

Later that day I roll up handed him a $50 took my change and thanked him.

Him: When you get it built come show me.
Me: Will do!

I ride off into the sunset with my Hutch over my handlebars. :mrgreen:

Now the difficult thing about finding a frame like this is that it's kind of a blessing and a curse all at once.

The blessing part is that you can list it on Ebay and make some good money to put towards other projects.

The curse comes into play if you want to bring it back to it's former glory....just sell your house and you can afford it. :shock:

Keeping it spray bomb black with Wal-Mart parts as a rider is probably the most undesirable option though. :lol:

Well I'm going to slowly fix it up as a period correct rider with some modern upgrades. It might take the next 20 years to do it though. I plan to re-paint it. Probably have it powder coated with the original red. I did find a set of the Titanium Magnesium hubs on Ebay but I'm NOT spending $1,200 on HUBS :shock:

Rat Rod said:
Keeping it spray bomb black with Wal-Mart parts as a rider is probably the most undesirable option though. :lol:

no way! a rat hutch!! that thing is off the chart!! I'd rock it and trade around for some old Oddesey stuff for it. its ballin!! :mrgreen:

Say what :shock: $1,200 dead presidents for hubs okay thats just crazy who in there right mind does that

outskirtscustoms said:
Well I'm going to slowly fix it up as a period correct rider with some modern upgrades. It might take the next 20 years to do it though. I plan to re-paint it. Probably have it powder coated with the original red. I did find a set of the Titanium Magnesium hubs on Ebay but I'm NOT spending $1,200 on HUBS :shock:

scrumblero said:
Rat Rod said:

no way! a rat hutch!! that thing is off the chart!! I'd rock it and trade around for some old Oddesey stuff for it. its ballin!! :mrgreen:

To tell the truth I'm thinking profile 3 piece crank, spider gear chainring like it has now, some knock off bear traps, double wall alianation hoops laced to some nice chrome hubs with hutch stickers on them, old school gum walls, and some cool old 80's grips.

Might take it to the skate park and have a little fun.

big kountry said:
Say what :shock: $1,200 dead presidents for hubs okay thats just crazy who in there right mind does that

outskirtscustoms said:

Those hubs are about bulletproof and throw some sick sparks when you grind them on a handrail. :mrgreen:

Rat Rod said:
Now the difficult thing about finding a frame like this is that it's kind of a blessing and a curse all at once.

The blessing part is that you can list it on Ebay and make some good money to put towards other projects.

The curse comes into play if you want to bring it back to it's former glory....just sell your house and you can afford it. :shock:

Now comes the "sell it to me so I can do the right thing and restore it."

outskirtscustoms said:
scrumblero said:
Rat Rod said:

To tell the truth I'm thinking profile 3 piece crank, spider gear chainring like it has now, some knock off bear traps, double wall alianation hoops laced to some nice chrome hubs with hutch stickers on them, old school gum walls, and some cool old 80's grips.

Might take it to the skate park and have a little fun.

Thats what im talkin about!! :mrgreen: carpet queens are for old men and couch potatoes... :lol:

There is a lot that can be done to make this bike respectable and not a carpet queen but low end parts and modern wheels is probably not the way to go. Im usually on the side of its yours so do what you want but in this case what you want borders on being disrespectful to that Judge and people that collect them. Im sure you could sell that frame and get something pretty cool to take to the bike park...

Thats what im talkin about!! :mrgreen: carpet queens are for old men and couch potatoes... :lol:[/quote][/quote]

Well considering some of the offers I have gotten I am definitely not going to be keeping it. I'd love to restore it but I'm not that rich. :( I have had several cash offers and two offers to trade even up for a car! One guy has a nice one and said he'd trade for it even up when he gets paid next month! :shock: If I didn't need it I wouldn't but I need wheels. Since my truck went down, I been on bike and not that I don't like bikes but I miss driving.

Latest posts

Back