hurricane participation... mass destruction

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: hurricane watch/participation

Talked to most of my family down there this morning and they are doing good.

No power to about 5 million people in the Houston area and it might be a week to two weeks before they get power again. :shock:

Sounds like a lot of trees, limbs and fences are down.

The way it looks now, it may be just east enough of me here in Dallas that we only see some minor wind gusts and only a couple of inches of rain.

Hang in there TX peeps! Here in the carolinas, people are getting nutty, lining up at gas stations because they're afraid they'll be a shortage. Some local stations have jacked up their prices as high as $4.29 for regular! :x I will NOT participate in mass hysteria!!! If the gas runs out, I'll hang out at home and work on my bikes til they refine some more! As a side note, the seller of the two Shelby frames I won on ebay was hit by the last storm, but got them packed up and sent off thurs. Kudos to 'tammat'! ~Adam

have we heard from everyone yet? our prayers are with you guy's, hang in there!!
Scott 8)

Well it was about 6 hours of terror. I have seen some bad weather in my time but this one made a believer out of me . the wind was about 50 60 mph and then i thought it was almost over and that is when it got bad. if you have never experianced a 120 mpg gust with a sustained at about 85 mph then you havent lived.I have a 35 ft tall pine tree and i got to see the top touch the ground. I saw some shingles blow by and i thought i wonder where they came from . i went outside and picked one up and dang they were mine. Well about 15 minutes after shingles leave, you sheetrock returns to its natural state ....white mush. half of my garage sheetrock fell down ...all over my john deere tractor ...my zero turn mower...and most of my bikes. The next thing that happens is sheetrock dries and then i guess you have to wash it off. Believe it or not i thank God it was my garage ....It could have been my house and got my good bikes. Sorry about the poor typing this is all from a laptop being run off of a generator. Oh no gas . There are maybe three gas stations open anywhere. 6 hours for a neighbor to get some gas. They are thinking 2 to 3 weeks to get all the power back on. A 40 foot tree behind my house fell and hit the wire that hold the pole and snapped it in half. the top fell and ripped the service out of my roof . may be a while longer to get mine back on. But all in all we are safe and the insurance will replace all this junk . I appreciate all your prayers ...they must have helped because alot of people have it alot worse than we do. bro is safe and probably had less damage than i did but all the electricity in most of houston and it will be a while before i post again.

On a funny note while your sitting in your garage in the middle of a mass storm watching your sheetrock desolve and fall on the rest of your stuff you notice the cardboard boxes you have in your attick are melting too. Stuff is falling everywhere . I saw some stuff fall and i said dang that is where that other extension cord went. I have been looking for that. :lol: :lol: :lol:
not doing advertisements but Billy gave me two flashlights from the dollar store a week or so ago. they are the shake kind . work fantastic...everybody should own a couple...lifesavers. :wink:

2x4 through a palm tree in Hurricane andrew
116676main_plank_palm_lg.jpg

oh man thats bad news. we had that really bad ice storm this past winter and a tree branch ripped our box off the wall. took two weeks for the electric co to get someone out to fix it. and i'm sure the damage there is probably much more widespread.

you should hook up one of your bikes to the generator. make it human powered.

glad to hear you're alright though.

Thanks to everybody for all the ...pulling for us. It helps. It kinda like camping. One lady bought some solar powered lights that go down your sidewalk and used them in her house at night. they last along time and then in the morning you stick them back outside in the sun.
Today I drove about 25 miles to a smaller town ,hit just as the line was forming. It took about 20 minutes to get gas. Filled up the truck and came home. I can siphon out gas to keep the ol onan puttering. So we are good to go on gas for probably 3 days . hopefully by then we can have more stations open. My onan gets about 1 hour to a half gallon of gas ....not too shabby. we run it for a few hours and then off for a few. God sent us a light cool front so its nice at night where you can sleep without sweating. Do miss working on my bikes. Decided not to shave till this ordeal is over with. Couple more days and I should look like santa clause. Well thanks again everbody....til later.

Uncle Stretch said:
Decided not to shave till this ordeal is over with. Couple more days and I should look like santa clause. Well thanks again everbody....til later.
I would love to see a pic of "Uncle Claus" maybe you could stretch a sleigh :mrgreen:

Good to hear you made it thru without any major damage! Galveston looks to have really 'got whomped'! Our local authorities are going after local price gouging gas stations-some were charging $5.49 a gallon :shock: !!! AND people were lining up for it! Sheesh! ~Adam

Back