Huge haul this week!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So a couple weeks ago my wife and I were driving back from Harbor Spring (rual area in Michigan thumb, not a resort town!). Her aunt and uncle have been farmers all their lives but are retiring and moving south later this year. It may have been our last visit to her grandfather's old farm.

On the way back we see a "barn sale" sign. We stop in and it is all new stuff, but there is a sign that reads "4 1950's or older bikes for sale. Call ..." OK, we have all seen this before, but I call the guy and drive about 15 miles out of my way to look at them. I get there and they are hanging 10-12 feet over my head with a couple trucks underneath them that have look they have not moved in years. As I climb up to look as close as I can, they are clearly all 60's-70's and fairly rough. We end up making a good deal and agree that he will get them down so I can pick them up in a couple weeks.

This is what I ended up with.

60's lady's very plain Schwinn (cool single bolt stem though)
DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0116.jpg

Men's AMF
DSCF0109.jpg

1962-63 Lady's Schwinn Fiesta?
DSCF0123.jpg

60's Murry built Men's Hiawatha? I am guessing the light that should be on the front is not common. If anyone has some info on these, I would like to learn more about it.
DSCF0122.jpg

Not a bad haul, definitely some good rat material. But wait, there's more...

Last edited:
...The day I am supposed to pick up the above, I see a new Craig's list add that has a few really crusty bikes, but one looks like a Shelby. I call the guy up and arrange a meet. I end up working an 8 hour day and driving for another six hours in two different directions to do both pick ups. It was worth it.

Totally roached Speed King.
DSCF0094.jpg

Columbia roller that isn't half bad.
DSCF0100.jpg

War time Shelby Flying Cloud with black out ND rear hub. This is after a little cleaning, but I must be a photography whiz because it definitely does not look this good in person.
DSCF0086.jpg

DSCF0087.jpg

DSCF0091.jpg

I am really liking this bike a lot.

But wait, you guessed it, there is still more...

Last edited:
...A guy I work with received a free old bike from someone he knows. It was to dirty for his taste, but he knew I was into the project stuff so he offers it to me.

Turns out to be a Schwinn Typhoon with Bendix two-speed kick back. Not that rough compared to any of the above. Should clean up.
DSCF0137.jpg

I feel like I have probably used up my bike picking luck for the year!

Last edited:
Back