Huffy Pro Thunder - UPDATE - FINISHED - 7/2 new pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked this up at a garage sale. Has Gold Araya rims, Raleigh BMX seat, AME grips, and a blue MX brake lever. Should clean up real nice, I'm assuming the only "valuable" parts are the rims and possibly seat, grips, and brake/lever. What do you guys think?

huffy1.jpg

huffy2.jpg

huffy3.jpg

huffy4.jpg

huffy5.jpg

huffy6.jpg

huffy7.jpg

huffy8.jpg

Re: Huffy Pro Thunder

Cool bike man, very nice.

And what a coincidence. My Dad picked up a Huffy Pro Thunder at a garage sale today also. Different year though. :wink:

DSC04029.jpg

mybike1 said:
Great find! Love the gold rims.

Yeah me too, shame about the brake rub on the back though. I never understood why they painted or anodized the sidewalls.

schwinnmesa said:
Cool bike man, very nice.

And what a coincidence. My Dad picked up a Huffy Pro Thunder at a garage sale today also. Different year though. :wink:

DSC04029.jpg

Cool find, yours looks a bit newer, but very clean.

deorman said:
The wheels, seat, and lever are definitely good stuff.

Besides the seat, were the rims/brakes original equipment? (besides the blue lever) Any ballpark figures on value?

For many people, the Huffy Pro Thunder was their first BMX bike. Cleaned up, that bike should bring $100+

Every second or third kid in my hood had a Pro Thunder. Remember the red anodized wheels that would strip off in two days when you used the calipers? Good stuff!!!

Finally got around to cleaning this one up today. Stripped it down to the frame, cleaned/degreased all the bearings minus the rear hub and regreased them, cleaned all chrome, waxed the frame, newer tires since old ones were shot, grips were melted so I had to replace them. The best suprise is when I took the pads off....look what was on the other side - check out the pics! What do you guys think its worth? She rides nice. Sorry for the dark pics the sun was going down, I'll get better ones tomorrow.

Also the kickstand wont stay up all the way and I have no idea how to fix it since its internal.

huffy1-1.jpg

huffy2-1.jpg

huffy3-1.jpg

Re: Huffy Pro Thunder - UPDATE - FINISHED 6/28 new pics

michaelscycles said:
I have this one that is waiting to be cleaned up. It is a Z2, a front dérailleur with a twist grip shifter. It has the gold Araya rims too.
100_2516.jpg

100_2517.jpg

Thats nice! Diggin the 2 speed! Is the frame gusset see through or does it have a white sticker on it? Weird I didnt think the Arayas were original. Do you have any pics of the rear brake? My fork doesnt have a hole in front for a caliper but it had a gold rear brake on it, with a blue mx lever and most likely the original gold strap holding it on.

cool bikes. my brother rode a yellow pro thunder with yellow mags back in the day. here's my 24 inch super thunder.
P1030314.jpg

yeah, all original paint. the only thing i added was the seatpost. i don't know if the tires and handbrake are original or not. when i get a chance, i'm going to pull it down and swap a few parts out to make it more ridable. i actually have another pro thunder, like an imitation moosegoose.
P1030349.jpg

Metal Miltia said:
yeah, all original paint. the only thing i added was the seatpost. i don't know if the tires and handbrake are original or not. when i get a chance, i'm going to pull it down and swap a few parts out to make it more ridable. i actually have another pro thunder, like an imitation moosegoose.
P1030349.jpg

Wow thats a strange lookin bike - Its cool though

ratina said:
michaelscycles said:
I have this one that is waiting to be cleaned up. It is a Z2, a front dérailleur with a twist grip shifter. It has the gold Araya rims too.

Thats nice! Diggin the 2 speed! Is the frame gusset see through or does it have a white sticker on it? Weird I didnt think the Arayas were original. Do you have any pics of the rear brake? My fork doesnt have a hole in front for a caliper but it had a gold rear brake on it, with a blue mx lever and most likely the original gold strap holding it on.

I am pretty sure the gusset is see through. I have this stored away for now and can't remeber much more about it. It had been sitting in my sisters basement for the last 20 years or so. She bought it for my neice at a yard sale and she wouldn't ride it. It sat there ever since. They were going to toss it, so I brought it home. It isn't perfect, I think I saw a tooth or two broken on the front, bigger chain ring, but it is all original and there.

Back