Huffy Cranbrook (Updated...8.12.12)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....spotted this partially built Huffy frame in the garage while cleaning up a bit. I threw some parts at it this evening, rides great, love it! I'm not sure which way I'm going with this one, but it deserves a freshen up! Hopefully I'll do it some good.

Nice reflectors and beach rusted spokes, lol....and those are Redline Flight 401 BMX cranks with 44t chainwheel from the 80's when I raced. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

Re: Huffy Cranbrook (Sanding Begins...8.1.12)

Hi all...such a great forum, all of you do fantastic work.

Houndog, I'm not sure the namebrand of tire, found it at a local hardware store couple years back....only has tiawan on it. Yeah, only black Cranbrook I've ever seen too.

Well, got the black stripped off, and the reason for this was the rust that has settled in (dropouts, BB area, etc...). Its not out of control yet, so the sanding should be "not-so-bad". I'm not sure what color this will be and I may smooth over them ugly welds and have a buddy re-bead them, i would like a mild stretch too. We'll see where it goes. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

Re: Huffy Cranbrook (Sanding Begins...8.1.12)

Well, decided against a stretch for now, will probably go with a laid-back seat post to open up the cockpit a bit. I've always felt a little cramped on this bike, wheelbase is a little short to what I prefer...which is why it sat unbuilt for years. That should do the trick for now though.

I've got this painted and threw basically the same parts back at it. I used Krylon Dual (Paint+Primer). The color is gloss leather brown. I was a bit unsure of trying this stuff, but I had frame sanded down very good. I cleaned the frame with windex before painting and I must say, I do like the way it adhered and the shine. I'll probably wax with some Meguiars and not even clear coat.

Next step....figure out the parts mix and the rest of the color scheme. I want to cut some vinyls in either cream or white with matching tires. The wheels need some work, I'll rebuild the hubs, both have resistance and do not role freely. I look forward to working on the parts to see where this goes. Thanks for looking.

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Back