Hubba Hubba

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure out if this hub is worth saving, anyone know anything about it or if it is any good? My other question is what do the #s 36-14 signify? I thought it was a single speed w/ coaster but are the #s gear ratios?
Pic below
THNX

here are some pics, has a hole in the axel like it is a geared hub but the bike i got it from was set up single speed.

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0187.jpg

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0199.jpg

IMG_2737.jpg

I had one pass through my hands a while back. I think it is a single speed hub. The 36 is probably the year of manufacture. Here is some of what I was able to dig up.
perry_coaster_brake.jpg

3405553310_d9a6f58296.jpg

images

I know it isn't much, but I hope it helps. If it were me, I would rebuild it and ride it. But since it isn't mine I think you should just box it up and send it to me! :wink: :wink: :wink:

lol thanks for the input... I've never done it b4 but I think i'm gonna take a stab @ rebuilding it

36 is the spoke count, 14 is the tooth count on the sprocket. You don't see these on American bikes until the early-mid 50s. As far as I know (which is a lot, but certainly not everything!) , they only made one speed hubs. -Adam

I had an English Gazelle given to me monday, it was more like abandoned next to my work truck and then they hid themsevles to watch my confusion. It has a Perry rear hub that is marked 40 - 14. I counted spokes and got the 40 but I haven't counted the sprocket teeth yet. Makes sense. Looking at the bike I thought it was late 50's early 60's. I'm still trying to date the hub but haven't tried too hard. I have other Perry's and will have to dig them out and check to see what they have written on them, B-100 I think. From what I understand that hub you have is not to bad of a hub. Mine works well.

Graylock

Greedy Glutton said:
I am trying to figure out if this hub is worth saving, anyone know anything about it or if it is any good? My other question is what do the #s 36-14 signify? I thought it was a single speed w/ coaster but are the #s gear ratios?
Pic below
THNX

36 hole 14 gauge?

Edit: guess I should have kept reading :oops:

oh yeah now we're on to something... it has 36 spokes but the cog has 18 teeth.

36 spoke 14 gauge sounds right to me but i know nothing of spokes yet. maybe its not the original cog

thanks again guys

Back