Hub reccomendations

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a good brand of hubs available at a reasonable price for cruisers. I want to buy a new set (front/back) of black, 36 hole, 3/8" axle coaster brake. I'd like to keep it under about $50. Something like what Choppers US carries except they don't have a standard front hub without disc attachment. I'd like to get them in the same brand like Shimano or something. They're for a new wheel set for my cruiser. It would be a bonus, but not requierd, if they are available from a Canadian source. Thanks.

I'm looking for the same type of thing- black loose-ball hub up front and a black coaster rear- though they don't necessarily need to ship from Canada :)

I want to use black spokes and lace them up to these wheels from VelocityUSA.com

teak-1000x750.jpg

Working on a black board track racer with big ol' white Fat Franks. Thinking that setup would be killer, but at $99 per rim alone- well, this could quickly get out of my price range

Good eye, Rob.
The wheels in the picture are deep-V but Velocity also uses that wood graphic on their P35 line which is their MTB wheelset in 26" or 29". They don't machine the sides- i.e. expect them to be setup with disc brakes- but that's also perfect for a coaster hub!

I'll post pictures if I decide to bite the bullet and lace some of these up. Thanks for the info on the black hubs!
-Ryan

SummitCoCycleWorks said:
Good eye, Rob.
The wheels in the picture are deep-V but Velocity also uses that wood graphic on their P35 line which is their MTB wheelset in 26" or 29". They don't machine the sides- i.e. expect them to be setup with disc brakes- but that's also perfect for a coaster hub!

I'll post pictures if I decide to bite the bullet and lace some of these up. Thanks for the info on the black hubs!
-Ryan

I hadn't realized they were making the p35 in teak. that's awesome; a truly fat and stout rim. With the money you might be saving on hubs, $100/rim doesn't seem as bad.

-rob

ps-if you get the kt coaster hub, pack the bearings before you run it. They come dry or near-dry, much of the time.

So far it's between the Bullerproof or Dimension front hub. The KT seems to be the only black coaster. I'm also toying with getting a Sturmey 2 speed kickback. I've never had one. I'm going to try to lace them into some DHL65's, so i'm doing much research to make sure it will work before I order the hubs. I also have'nt had a chance to call all the LBS's yet. Thanks for the input guys.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=19350
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=407840

Spincycle said:
So far it's between the Bullerproof or Dimension front hub. The KT seems to be the only black coaster. I'm also toying with getting a Sturmey 2 speed kickback. I've never had one. I'm going to try to lace them into some DHL65's, so i'm doing much research to make sure it will work before I order the hubs. I also have'nt had a chance to call all the LBS's yet. Thanks for the input guys.
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=19350
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=407840

The sturmey-archer b2c is a tempting hub. The OLD is 116mm, so you'll likely hAVe to spread your rear dropouts. Otherwise, it would work just like the KT, but with a 138% high gear. I don't know if those ultra-wide rigidas require a heavier gauge spoke, but the SA lists the b2c as being compat with 14g spokes-- most of their hubs are listed as being for 14g AND 13g. Otherwise, can't see how it wouldn't work differently than the KT, as far as the build is concerned. (Be pretty cool to kick it into overdrive when riding, though.)

-rob

Spincycle said:
The rim is designed for use with 14 guage spokes. I'll be putting it in a cheap cruiser frame to start. The rear stays spread open to about 120mm when I loosen the axle nuts! I'm hoping to transfer it to a nicer frame at a later date.

you should do fine with the b2c, then. I believe i'd choose that over the kt. worth the $$, imo.

-rob

Anyone come across a black, 3-speed coaster hub in their searching? I know SA has the two-speed kickback in a 2-speed but haven't seen anything in a 3.

Thanks!

Back