Hub/Bearing rattle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I searched around for a while first before asking this so if it has been answered somewhere, sorry. Just point me to the right thread please.
Anyway, I have a new Felt Cruiser single speed w/ coaster brake. It rides and peddles fine and also has great braking. It only has about 5 miles on it and I started noticing an odd noise that's becomming more frequent. I believe its from the rear hub and it makes a small metallic noise or "rattle". It will do this either peddling or coasting but not all the time, just randomly. I do a little rear peddle or even the slightest brake and it goes away for a while. Its starting to tick me off now. :lol:
I was curious if any of you have had this issue before and what my remedy may be. I remember something like this when I was a kid but that was a long time ago and I can't quite figure it out again.
Thanks in advance,
BD

Dooh! I flipped her over to check the chain again as you recommended. Seems some moron (Ummm....me :oops: ) Didn't double check the brake arm when he adjusted the chain the first time around. The felt has a provision to bolt the arm to the frame (a brake arm bracket) instead of clamping around it. The bolt and nut were on, just a little loose. :roll:
Thanks for the help!

Looking inside is probably a good idea on any new bike. New coaster brakes often make a certain unwanted noise due to a small sheet metal guide and return spring on the axle that most have nowadays.They also tend to have cheap bearing retainers, so I tend to open and check them out before going very far.

I finally got the chance to tear it all down and there was a number of things wrong. 1, it was never assembled correctly, there was way too much play in everything. Two, the rattle was the brake shoes. After things warmed up during a ride, they would rattle and there also wasn't very much bearing grease.
Seems fine now, thanks for the tips.

Back