Howdy. I'm new here, and I brought a Spaceliner.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, everyone!

First, i have to say thank you to all of you who have posted your knowledge and advice here. I've been reading this forum for a while, and I've learned a ton about my bike and I've found incredible inspiration for my resto/customization project. More importantly, your collective experience has helped me to figure out exactly where my own skill ends, and I think that knowing my own limits has saved me a lot of mistakes, breaks and heartache, so thank you for that, too.

My name's Angela and I live in Atlanta. Last summer, my boyfriend gave me the greatest "just because you're awesome and I love you" present ever: a 1965 Spaceliner. She'd had only one owner and was fresh out of the only garage she'd ever lived in, completely original and, with the exception of the head and tail light lenses, all of her original parts were intact and in repairable working order. She was my dream bike.

Small problem, though. See, I grew up in Cape Canaveral, FL, where it's completely flat and you don't need any more than a single speed. The last time I owned a bike I was 12 years old, and the steepest hill I'd ever encountered was my driveway. The solution then was to ditch my bike in the yard half way up and just walk to the door, but in Atlanta, there are hills everywhere, and when I rode my Spaceliner for the first time, I had to dismount and push it up my own street. More than once.

Still, I love her. I LOVE this bike. And last month, awesome boyfriend saved the day again and had a Shimano Nexus 3-speed internal hub installed (I insisted on no derailleurs to ruin the aesthetic of the bike's streamlined design) and a smaller chainwheel to reduce the gear ratio even further. He also added a replacement Electra cruiser seat, new pedals and new 26" wheels and whitewalls.

Here's Stella Mae, my Spaceliner, the day I got her:
IMG_1263.JPG

With the exception of some of the mechanical work, I'm doing the entire project myself. (I grew up in a family of mechanics and bodywork guys, and I do most of the work on my own car, so I think I can handle this.) She'll be my daily rider, so I'm going for comfort over authenticity where it matters. I still have to:
1. Decide what color to paint her, figure out how to remove the tank and rear rack and then get to sandblasting
2. Sew my own panniers and seat cover
3. Get out my soldering iron and retrofit a Philips Xenon headlight into the front cavity, then find a replacement lens (ditto for the tail light)
4. Design and machine my own custom head badge
5. Look fly riding my totally boss wheels!

Again, thanks for everyone's collected knowledge and advice. I look forward to sharing updates and progress photos as my Spaceliner gets her makeover!

Thanks, everyone!

I'm really just getting started on the bike, and this is my very first project, so I'm a complete noob at this. But I am my father's daughter, and I'm not scared to use tools, get grease on my jeans and make some loud clanking noise in the basement.

Here's the fun unveiling after Awesome Boyfriend had the new hub, wheels and saddle put on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6So2mFod1Ik

So, fun fact about me/my bike: I'm a giant space geek-- as a native of Cape Canaveral, it's in my barcoding, I'm sure. I named my bike Stella Mae for a reason: Stella for "star", Mae for astronaut Mae Jemison. And since I don't think I'll get to be an astronaut myself when (and if) I grow up, I think I'm going to use the incredible Saturn V rocket as inspiration for my project. Then I'll ride it... to the moon!

5817354%25257ESaturn-V-Rocket-Lifting-the-Apollo-11-Astronauts-Towards-Their-Manned-Mission-to-the-Moon-Affiches.jpg

Sweet bike. I recently acquired a Spaceliner with the same rear rack as yours . It was also missing the tail light lens. Did you have any luck finding one for your bike.
Thanks.

Hey Jim-- No, I haven't found a replacement for that rear lens. I've decided on one of two possibilities:
1. Removing the fender reflector and installing a Schwinn-type fender-mounted rocket light (Delta, et cetera) and forgetting about replacing the stock lens. This is probably my best option if opt to install... wait for it... a propane nozzle in that spot. See, if you're going with a rocket-themed build, you might want to occasionally burn some rocket fuel.

Option 2 is perhaps more reasonable: create a mold to fit the battery assembly and cast LEDs in acrylic. I'm going to try it this weekend; if it works, I'll have a virtually indestructible, solid-state light custom-fit to my bike, drawing almost no power at all. If it doesn't work, I'm out $30.

Dr. Tankenstein said:
You've GOT to bring StellaMae to the Coaster's show in April!

Dr. T

I'm in! That's actually my dad's birthday, and he hasn't been to any sort of shine n'show since he gave up his own bike (Harley Ultra Classic) a few years ago after deciding that the worst part about "laying down" his ride was, for him, the possibility of breaking one of his TWO artificial hips. (Chrome's not cheap, but after-market parts get mighty pricey when they involve surgery.) He's enjoyed watching me plan my build and I'm sure he'll want to come and watch me show off a bit!

Back