How to use a chain tool?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I've broke three. Perhaps it's because Im using them on 30 year old rusted chains. However is there a speacial way they should work? I don't want to break another one. I've got a chain to mend together and don't want to break another one.
:oops:

sounds like your usin it right to me, they are REALLY easy to break, especially the bell and pyramid brands i had before. went through 3 bells and 2 pyramids really quick.

i spent $20 and got a parktools ct-7, its done great so far. i think the ct-5 is cheaper and is supposed to be pretty good too but it looked to be made too much like the others i broke.

CCR is right those pot metal wally world one's are CRAP spend the money and get a good one

Soak the chain with wd40 and make sure you get the pen in the breaker straight with the pen in the chain. If it is off just a little bit it will break the center of the tool. Also get a park tools breaker but make sure that is is straight in there. Hope that helps a little.

Soak the pin you want to break with PB Blaster or any rust penetrant first.

Im on my second breaker,but I got a lot of use out of the first one...trying to crack yet another rusty chain.

Im looking forward to breaking this one too. :mrgreen:

I got mad and just took a hammer and flat head and broke the chain. That's when I found out the new chain was to short...
DOH. So tommorow I buy another chain and tool....

On chains that were too rusty and crusty to save,Im not too proud to admit that i've used gorilla force to actually BREAK the chain in a neanderthal kind of way.

Back