How to take these crank arms off?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I have a 1978 Fuji Sports 10 that I'm making into a fixie as the gears and brakes were messed up to begin with. I can't get the crank arms to come off. I need to take them off in order to take the crank out so I can get the little chain ring free from behind the big one. There is a bolt going through the crank arm (as shown in the picture), but I can't seem to even move it even with a lot of force and some WD-40. What should I do and how do I take this apart? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. :wink:

DSC04599.jpg

DSC04600.jpg

Are you going to reuse any of the parts?

One thing to try is to thread the nut back on till it just cover the threads of the cotter and then take a hammer and tap the nut. Sometimes a good sharp blow will loosen it up. Of course a little heat might help also.
Park used to make a Cotter removal tool, but my bet is that this one is pretty well rusted in.

Good Luck!

see if your LBS has a cotter pin remover tool. I have one from
http://bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/index.html
It is expensive but works most of the time unless the cotter pin is bent. Then you drill it out if stuck. pain in the a.... Use brand new cotter pins to replace the old. Some times the old ones threads get mashed or striped while removing. They only go in one direction, otherwise they loosen up the cranks.

ang1sgt said:
Are you going to reuse any of the parts?

One thing to try is to thread the nut back on till it just cover the threads of the cotter and then take a hammer and tap the nut. Sometimes a good sharp blow will loosen it up. Of course a little heat might help also.
Park used to make a Cotter removal tool, but my bet is that this one is pretty well rusted in.

Good Luck!
Thats what i did with mine and worked great.

Three-piece cranks? Someone should invent a one-piece crank and that would never happen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Gary (I know, I'm no help.)

i like the idea gary, but its ludicrous! :lol: but if your not EVER going to use the smaller chainring, you could just cut it off and save taking it all apart.

schwinnmesa said:
Hi guys. I have a 1978 Fuji Sports 10 that I'm making into a fixie as the gears and brakes were messed up to begin with. I can't get the crank arms to come off. I need to take them off in order to take the crank out so I can get the little chain ring free from behind the big one. There is a bolt going through the crank arm (as shown in the picture), but I can't seem to even move it even with a lot of force and some WD-40. What should I do and how do I take this apart? Any help would be much appreciated, thank you. :wink:

Ohh, little one. :? Search deep in your heart. There is only one true answer to the quesion that you ask of us! "The Way of the Chainsaw Man" is the only answer to your quest! :wink: Now find that grinder and have at it!
p.s.
For added enlightenment, stick a Schwinn headbadge on the bike prior to grindage! :mrgreen:
Chainsaw

I got it out with some help from my Dad. Thanks for all the help, I appreciate it. :D

Chainsaw said:
schwinnmesa said:

Ohh, little one. :? Search deep in your heart. There is only one true answer to the quesion that you ask of us! "The Way of the Chainsaw Man" is the only answer to your quest! :wink: Now find that grinder and have at it!
p.s.
For added enlightenment, stick a Schwinn headbadge on the bike prior to grindage! :mrgreen:
Chainsaw

I have no grinder, you see. Twas the night after WD-40 when the rust was getting loose. Twas the action of a hammer when the bolt broke loose. :mrgreen:

lol, Chainy... I wouldn't be too comfortable hacking up a Schwinn. Save that for the Magnas. :wink:

c'mon man! you gotta build yourself up! there should be any shame in cutting up anything! i have diabolical plans to make a skiptooth burrito sometime in the future. :mrgreen: :lol:

schwinnmesa said:
I have no grinder, you see. Twas the night after WD-40 when the rust was getting loose. Twas the action of a hammer when the bolt broke loose.

That was beautiful. <wiping a tear from my eye>

thatismytruck said:
schwinnmesa said:
I have no grinder, you see. Twas the night after WD-40 when the rust was getting loose. Twas the action of a hammer when the bolt broke loose.

That was beautiful. <wiping a tear from my eye>

Very poetic and quotable. Who is taking that for the sig line?

i was thinking the same thing. mesa you think i could?

I remember writing a somewhat comedic post about how awsome cottered cranks are to remove. Rather than search for it, or re-write it, I'll reference you to the ever more helpful website of the late Sheldon Brown.

http://sheldonbrown.com/cotters.html

After pulling more of these than I care to remember with a hammer, pipe, penetrating oil, and a few hours, I borrowed a friend of a friend's pin remover. Took a few minutes and a bizillionth of the effort to get the pins out. The only thing to watch out for are slightly bent pins. When you start to crank on the remover, the slight bend becomes a big kink and the drill comes out to play.

EDIT: I don't read so good. You got it out already.

Back