how to restore a rusty chain

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I have a chrome "Mongoose" BMX frame that I am going to derust by the electrolytic method. Win or fail, I'll post it here.

mongooseSmall.jpg

mongooseRust1.jpg
mongooseRust2.jpg

So here's my set-up

mongHole2.jpg

which IS different from

MyAss.jpg

water and washing soda and bike, I figured 20 gal of water so I put in most of a box of soda :roll:

mongHole3.jpg

The soda, sacrificial metal, and plastic to space the bike up off the bottom of the "tank"
armhammer.jpg
mongFile.jpg
mongplastic.jpg

My charger

mongCharger.jpg

Set up, ready to plug in
mongsetup.jpg

This worked great. This is after about eight or nine hours, I cleaned the sacrificial piece three times and moved it around to different areas of the frame. I don't know if moving it made any difference but cleaning it sure did. I think it would have gone faster if I had another anode (is that what the sacrificial piece is? and the bike the electrode? I dunno, sounds good. :) ) especially with a big thing like a frame. I'm going to run it some more and see how it goes. The area around the kickstand plate is still bad, and the tiny triangle in front.

mongCleanBB.jpg
mongooseRust2.jpg

mongClean2.jpg
mongooseRust1.jpg

All in all a success, I think. I will certainly be using it on small parts a lot, probably leave it set up in a corner. Hope this helps someone.

We used to soak motorcycle chains in diesel fuel (it has a bunch of nasties in it), but kerosene is 'cleaner' and the odorless doesnt smell too bad. Use the normal precautions for combustible fuels. Hang to drip dry into a jug (say a liter pop bottle with the top cut off just big enough to allow the chain end in). Wipe and wire brush, if needed, then soak in sun warmed 85-90wt gear lube, let drip off again, wipe and use. If the chain is all that crusty, I wouldnt put much stock in it, but ya gotta use what ya got (dance with who ya brung).
I like the sound of that phos. acid dip, or the vinegar, though I think Id like to try that after a solvent soak and drip-dry to get the grunge off, then the lube soak after derusto.
I cant help but wonder how many open flame grease fires there where, like turkey deep fryers now, I suppose.

The moving of the sacrificial iron should be helpful because I heard that this is "line of sight" rust removal. Either move the iron to all sides or keep moving the frame. Looking good.

for a chain, white vinegar works well, followed by soaking in light oil.

Check it at least every day. One or two days is usually enough depending on the chain.

I once put a pretty good chain in vinegar and forgot about it for a week or 2.
Every link was completely apart when I finally got ready to fish it out.
the side plates were all that was left. :oops:

I used apple cider vinegar it took off the rust but the chain came out looking like it was black oxided ! is this the same with white vinegar . the black came off with a light brushing though. This is the after I wish I'd have taken a before pic.

imag0602s.jpg

i took my skip tooth chain to a local bike shop they charged me like $10 to dip it in the tank...looks brand new

XC204 said:
I used apple cider vinegar it took off the rust but the chain came out looking like it was black oxided ! is this the same with white vinegar . the black came off with a light brushing though. This is the after I wish I'd have taken a before pic.

How long did you soak it? Need to do this with a skiptooth chain and kind of dig the black oxidized look.

I soak my rusted chains in a mix of "ingredients" first is WD-40 other is a very thin oily/greasy liquid that came from a tub of gojo/cojo (whatever it's called) its almost like a lard. And lastly some gasoline. I would keep the chain in it for a few days sometimes a week depending on how bad it was and would wire brush the loose rust off. Worked perfectly! This also gets that grime and baked on grease off of your chain. This solution probably should stay outdoors and keep a lid on it... Lol

Took some bike parts to work to bead blast and a rusty chain to work on. Bead blasted the parts and forgot and left the chain sitting by the bead blast cabinet. One of my co-workers saw the chain sitting there and thought I forgot to bead blast it. She blasted it real good. No more rust but the chain was full of grit and ruined. DON'T bead blast your chain! :roll: Gary

B607 said:
Took some bike parts to work to bead blast and a rusty chain to work on. Bead blasted the parts and forgot and left the chain sitting by the bead blast cabinet. One of my co-workers saw the chain sitting there and thought I forgot to bead blast it. She blasted it real good. No more rust but the chain was full of grit and ruined. DON'T bead blast your chain! :roll: Gary

I hope you at least thanked him.

Hope it wasn't a skiptooth.

Soaked my skiptooth in apple cider vinegar for about 24 hours or so. Definitely loosened up the links but didn't do a great job of removing a lot of the gunk. Maybe I didn't leave it in long enough but I was afraid of destroying the chain. Soaking in some WD-40 right now and then going to rub it down real good and apply some bike chain lube. I'll update again after that. Fingers crossed.

yoothgeye said:
B607 said:

I hope you at least thanked him.

Hope it wasn't a skiptooth.

Not a skiptooth. I said thanks alright. Thanks for nuthin'! :x Gary

How does one decide they need a new chain anyway?:showingbiceps:
I mean, I've always just soaked, even the rustiest nastiest chains in a coffee can half full of regular motor oil for a day or two..or till I get to the project...the oil lasts a long time you can clean many chains before it becomes dirty and discolored...
Then, I just hang the chain on a 4 penny nail in the shed, or outside on a wall, and wipe it down with some old cloth, anything....hit it with a wire brush, and bam , back on the bike it goes.
Franco

How does one decide they need a new chain anyway?:showingbiceps:
I mean, I've always just soaked, even the rustiest nastiest chains in a coffee can half full of regular motor oil for a day or two..or till I get to the project...the oil lasts a long time you can clean many chains before it becomes dirty and discolored...
Then, I just hang the chain on a 4 penny nail in the shed, or outside on a wall, and wipe it down with some old cloth, anything....hit it with a wire brush, and bam , back on the bike it goes.
Franco
Totally agree, but, I have had to replace a few chains that were either cracking or stretched...

Luke.

I guess since I heard that the chains wear along with the sprockets, I try to save all chains, if a chain was cracked Luke, could you just replace the links.?
And stretched? does it skip? or how do you tell ? I saw a vid where some dude was measuring a foot of chain with some gauge....
Of course, I'm not new to building, I was a cabininetmaker and boatbuilder my whole life, now I'm getting into 'really' tinkering with bikes..I usually just rode them, now , I'm obsessed with collecting parts and building them..ha.....I love this forum...;0)

If you have a chain with more than one cracked link, it is fair to say the others will not be far behind, probably best to replace the chain.

Stretched chains can skip and tend to ride up on the teeth too, so increasing wear on the sprockets. In theory sprockets should be replaced at the same time as a chain, but in practice a new chain can often save an old drivetrain from the scrap bin.

You can buy cheap chain stretch gauges, but I just use a piece of good chain to lay next to the chain in question to see how bad it is, some small stretch is ok, but once it starts increasing you will be wearing your sprockets...

Because chain is 1/2" pitch you can just measure it too, if it does not end on or very close to a 1" or a 1/2" mark you know there is an issue.

I actually view modern chains as a consumable, they are not that expensive, and far better to look after your vintage sprockets...

Of course all that only applies to modern chain, if you are talking about skiptooth or block chain or something else vintage, by all means, do everything you can to save it!

Back