how to paint wheels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
new_dharma said:
ricksterr1221 said:
new_dharma said:
ricksterr1221 said:
KEV! I LOVE U! I never thaught of that!!!
...or thought of that...where is public education taking us???

Shut Up.

sorry rick...i was in a mood...

It's okay.. Public education does suck.. I just make the best of it, I did the best out of all the freshman boys with the GPA Of 3.893! Heck yeah!

Re: prepping for painting rims

Nitcat said:
I'm getting ready to prime and paint a pair of chrome rims. Does anyone have a tip for prep? Should I go over the areas to be painted with sandpaper to rough things up? If so, what grade sandpaper will give me good results for the best paint adhesion?

I use 100 grit wet/dry sand paper sand till chrome is dull [all scratch to heck] the scratches help hold the primer, I use self etching primer ..not shure iff its over kill but I've painted a few rims and I'm taking no chances then filler primer, then this stuff Epoxy spray can paint...I've done rims from paint the complete rim, to just taping nipples [That still DOESNOT sound right..I used to know these party girls that.........oops wrong site :oops:] anyway..check it out :shock: 8) :mrgreen:

paintedrims.jpg

i am trying this now for the first time.
i think its going to work awesomely.

I painted some nipples and all ( wow your right , :shock: that doesn't sound right) on a wheel that may never be painted again. It's got all kinds of issues bends, dents and such but the paint takes your eye away from it. Cheap fix.

Red.jpg

GL

Turtlesixfour said:
What if you are using hand brakes? Will paint hold up at all?

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine it would hold up too well. I've seen painted rims on bikes from the dump and it wears off. Others though, that may be powder coated look better. I've wondered how best to mask off the braking surface so the paint line looks good. Leaving the braking surface raw.

jackdaw said:
Turtlesixfour said:
What if you are using hand brakes? Will paint hold up at all?

I don't know for sure but I can't imagine it would hold up too well. I've seen painted rims on bikes from the dump and it wears off. Others though, that may be powder coated look better. I've wondered how best to mask off the braking surface so the paint line looks good. Leaving the braking surface raw.
+1 on the not to well. The best way would probably use that 1/4 inch masking tape and user 2- 3 passes of it. It flexes a little better in curves and and bends. Just my .02

Back