How To Install Ape Hangers On My Cruiser?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted this on another forum, but received no response. I'm hoping someone here can help...

Okay, so I thought this was pretty straight forward, but maybe not. I have ape hanger handlebars (not sure what brand, maybe Electra) that are 7/8" in diameter. I tried installing them on my Electra Coaster 1 (see pic) that has the alloy classic stem (see pic). I used Sunlite shims (see pic), but I was only able to squeeze in one of the shims and this did not secure the handlebar enough so that it would properly stay in place. I tried jamming in the other shim, but that just resulted in scratching up the handlebar. I've seen apes on other Electra Coasters/Cruisers, so I know there is a proper way to do this. Any and all advice would be great. Thanks!

Electra Coaster 1
coaster1.jpg

Stem
stemb.jpg

Sunlite Shims
shimp.jpg

+1 for opening the stem with a screwdriver.

As Petebog suggested check the sizes first.
Put the shims round the bar and they should be snug all round but not quite meet each other.
Then try the shims put together and slipped in the stem they should just fall in.
We are thinking it will be this last check that will show the problem.

If you have any way of measuring. The shim thickness should be stem size - bar size /2
So yours will probably be 1" - 7/8" =1/8", /2 = 1/16" thick.
I turned some out of alloy, I didn't know you could buy them :oops:
Kev

On your trial fit also make sure the two sides of the shims dont contact each other, you need a little gap for them to be able to compress under clamp pressure once in place.

BIG thanks to everyone! MUCH appreciated. This is exactly the info that I needed. You guys rock and so does this forum! Time to install...

yes do what the other guys said to do, and what i do also is i put a small piece of scotch tape around the shims in the center of the shims to hold them in place for you and once they are in the stem you won't see the tape. it gives you an extra set of hands! :D

Back