How to get the best performance from a China engine? CARB???

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Chinese made engine kit (80cc) and I was wondering if anybody has some secrets on how to get these to really rip? I did install it completely stock except for a modified air filter. If you have any tips or tricks or parts I should buy please say.
Here is the site I bought it from: http://www.motovelo.us/

Re: How to get the best performance from a China engine?

one thought...

attachment.php

The guy you purchased it from claims to have the best and fastest motor kits around. Did you ask him about performance mods? I have a few fast ones but its hit and miss with these china dolls. Post a picture of you bike...

Wolfman

Well, they make several mods for the motor, most of which are pretty much all about bring out the subtle efficiencies of the motor rather than 'SoUpInG It Up!!!!' The top dogs though are aftermarket exhaust pipes, 'boost' tubes, which really just manages back pressure for the engine, and the biggest winner in my book are the hub clamp style rear sprocket mounts. They pretty much eliminate wobble from the rear sprocket reducing vibration and allowing everything to run MUCH smoother. Now that's all stuff to make your engine run better and stronger not necessarily faster though. However, there are things that will allow you to boogy if you need really need to haul the mail. They do in fact sell mini nitrous kits for the motor, (I mean common, someone had to, how can you resist applying some liquid torque :mrgreen:), also the BEST bet would be to get yourself the a hub clamp mount and buy one of the smaller aftermarket rear sprockets that go to them. Keep in mind that changing the gear ratio like this will bring you closer to an overdrive and increase your MPH but kill your torque. So you'll go faster when you get going, but will have an easier time bogging at the start (soo, just pedal more when you start off :wink:) Changing the gears alone gets things REAL hair really fast. Another way to do this would be buy a Jackshaft and drive a derailleur through all its gears. But then you just have a 6-speed moped cause you can't pedal :|

Oh and as far as tricks for the little buggers, I'm starting to realize that if you have a welder go ahead and make your own mounts for the motor. The motor doesn't have to be permanently FIXED to the bike, but go ahead and weld the mounts right the heck to the frame. Cause even with the high end super duper reinforced motors those nonense clamp on 'grip the frame till you turn me on then I'll come loose and strip the paint off your bike' style mounts just ...suck. lol

Thanks for all the awesome info everybody... Here are soem pictures of the bike:

f73e8dc7.jpg

7c523c3e.jpg

b4f0a07f.jpg

acb46620.jpg

bb15af2c.jpg

ccc1510b.jpg

Ill admit that it is a little ugly at the minute. I have a much cooler frame and plans in my head :D
The only modification I have made is to the stock air filter, as you can see.

Here is the cool frame:

491d4e64.jpg

Smelly gas can for the win :

223bc901.jpg

Enough for tonight...

Yeah they typically arent the best looking motors right off the bat, but I like yours. Yours looks like it'd be a bit more functional than others too.

Oh, and one other thing I forgot, The tensioners on these motors are just the worst. Bike guys first start these off and don't realize that the amount of power put into taking up the slack from the motor is a lot more than what it'd seem. So the tensioner gets hammered till it starts to spin a bit, gets just out of line enough where the leverage of the next time goes taught pulls it right out of line, stripping the heck out of your paint and even the metal, and throws the tensioner dead into your spokes. Bends 'em up real bad and and stops 'em dead cold (which might bend you up too :|) Also, if it doesn't hit the spoke the chain likes to come off, wrap around your hub at 500mph and snap even the 'stronger' aftermarket chains like twigs.

Good fix would be try to fix the tensioner permanently to the frame (weld) and then another personal must that I do for ALL my bikes is go down to Tractor Supply and buy yourself a box of good 'ol No. 41 chain. Farmers don't play around. Its thick, beefy, and if you break it they give you a medal. Its alooott bigger chain but it'll fit fine and make your bike look like it can take a punch

Puch Hi-compression head, Dellorto carb, port match intake/exhaust, polish exhaust header, expansion chamber, NGK plug/wire, trim intake side of piston skirt, #41 chain, hub adapter.

OH I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THE PUCH HEADS!!! Those things are actually pretty gnarly!

Wolf's Den Garage said:
Puch Hi-compression head, Dellorto carb, port match intake/exhaust, polish exhaust header, expansion chamber, NGK plug/wire, trim intake side of piston skirt, #41 chain, hub adapter.

Sweet thanks! I think I can get a puch head and a lot of the parts at an awesome moped store in my area: Treatland.tv
More specifically: https://www.treatland.tv/moped-kits...at=55&show=50&page=1&search= high compression

Thanks for all the info everybody.

Yup. That's the place. I'll be putting my 50cc head back on my 66cc this spring. Currently have the 70 on. More squeeze with the 50.

Wait... what size head should I use with my "80cc" engine?

ETHANSFBIKES said:
Wait... what size head should I use with my "80cc" engine?

Well your 80cc is technically a 66c, its just a difference in the way they measure the cylinder, the western hemisphere does it the right way of course and therefor if we talk about a 66cc its really your "80". And I believe that you go for either the 70 hi hi or the 50 hi hi (I think, its either the hi hi or the hi) but the 50 has a much higher compression, which means more thumpin' - its a touch harder to turn over though lol...

Cool thanks. I had an epic wrestling match with the frickin' chain tensioner were many mean words were exchainged and now it lies in a mangled heap on the garage floor. :lol: IF YOU BUY ONE OF THESES KITS GET RID OF THE CHAIN TENSIONER OF BUILD YOUR OWN!! The bike has horizontal drop outs so I got the chain to the right length. It is AMAZING how much faster it runs without that stupid thing. Im serious, It feels so much better. Pics...

11c79d39.jpg

38eb5bb2.jpg

7f66955d.jpg

Almost forgot: Super high quality italian petcock with spring loaded position switch as opposed to friction chinese POS. It has three setting, open, closed, and reserve!

33b38a39.jpg

Also, is it normal for my pipe to drip oil? Not a lot just a little puddle.
Thanks

Eh, Ive had a touch of drippage with mine, and what'd I tell ya about those tensioners? :wink:

Help! my carb leaks gas every were. At first I thought that my gas line was leaking, but after I took off the air filter it was covered with gas too. The engine and everything below the carb is covered in gasoline, why is this happening? Also last night all the gas in the tank (very little) leaked onto the garage floor out of the carb. The cylinder that opens and shuts with the throttle never completely closes, is that my problem? Thanks

Wolf's den
Wolf's Den Garage said:

Basic porting of intake and exhaust will do a lot. and gutting the muffler will give you some more speed to. The biggest performance boost was dropping the end cap of the muffler on a ride, it ran a lot faster but the sound was unbareable.. :D

I have tried a couple of after market parts like the Puch head, ngk iridium plug/wire, billet intake and after what i can tell they don't increase the performance in any dramatic way, they might make the engin run a little better though..

Delolorto jets will fit in the stock carb, i bought a bunch of them and tried them out and now the engine has some four stroking at the bottom end but none after that. Can't remember what size i run but it seems to be a bit individual form engine to engine.

I swapped out the rear sprocket from 44 to 36 but it bogged down to much during take off so I went up a couple of tooth's to a 40 wich is spot on, for me at least. smooth starts and a little more speed..

I haven't tried any after market exhaust but i think that will next..

There is a lot of use full info over at http://motorbicycling.com/

Good luck! :D

Some new parts...

Dellorto Carb:
90664832.jpg

90664832.jpg

Pipes! Got ALL these for $20!
8442c6be.jpg

a83790f4.jpg

I got kind of excited and all of a sudden my engine looked like this: :lol:
070d271b.jpg

Now I dont know exactly how to put it back together... Il figure it out.

Latest posts

Back