How to fix broken fender mount

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No input from the bike builds forum, I'll try here in the how to forum:

The mounting tab on the bottom of the rear fender has one side broken and the other side is stress cracked badly. Is there a generally accepted fix for this? Thinking of brazing it back together but would first have to remove about a 1/4" from each side of the crack to get back to good metal, it's very thin. Also thought of sandwiching washers or, to be cleaner, making a set of stiffening plates to sandwich the remaining tab, sufficiently thick stock, cut and formed to shape, one hole in the middle for the mounting screw.

What's your input?
DSCN1905.jpg

I have the same stress crack situation on the top mount
DSCN1903.jpg

Make another tab the same shape as the broken one. Use an old fender or other sheet metal. Grind the back of the old tab lightly and get some bare metal showing. Use JB Weld or other good quality epoxy and glue the new tab behind the old one. Make sure the new tab is an inch or two longer so it extends up into the fender a little bit. If you think the fender metal is good enough you could braze the new tab in place but I think epoxy would hold it. Gary

Latest posts

Back