How to fix a bent seat tube?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The title says it all really. I had the seat too high (not enough post in the tube) and the top of the tube is bent. It isn't out by a massive amount (a couple of mm all round). I've tried bending it back with a spanner but the grip still won't quite fit over it. I'm thinking the best bet is to take it to a shop but if anyone has come across a fix for this before I'm all ears.

put it in the vise where it bent and get a cheater pipe. whats a cheater pipe you say? a really long hunk of random tubing thats a bigger diameter than the thing to be bent. its for people like us that arent body builders :) leverage is key. stick the cheater pipe over the end of the tube and torque on it(slowly!!) till the post is straight again.

I should have been clearer but it isn't so much that the tube has a clean bend, more that the end of the tube has stretched out so big that I can't get the seat post clamp over the top anymore.

The bike is a chopper so there is only a couple of inches of tube before you hit the frame proper (meaning I can't just lop off the top inch or so).

That's it - though only by 1mm or so all round (it just looks like it has stretched out down to an inch or so below the top of the tube). I'm not sure whether to put the seat post in and give it a bloody good hammering or whether to buy some sort of clamp and try to tighten it all back in line. Not sure if heating would help but I don't particularly want to melt the paint off as it is pretty much mint.

I would take a picture but the bending is so small it looks like nothing, I just can't get the f-ing seat post clamp over it!

Thanks for your help btw Stretch.

naturals said:
I'm not sure whether to put the seat post in and give it a bloody good hammering...
You might try something like that...Put the seatpost into the tube and with a hammer bang the "stretched" bit back into shape...Shrink the tube...Be patient...Work a little at a time...Good luck! :mrgreen:

Fixed!

I got a small tack hammer and beat it back into shape. Then I used a BMX seat post grip (I figured this would be tougher than say a mtb grip) to pull it all back together the last little bit.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Back