How to decide which ape hanger is right?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to put some ape hanger handlebars on my bikes. I have three bikes I would like to put the handlebars on.

20 inch bmx style
24 inch mountain bike style
26 inch beach cruiser style

There aren't any store in my area (Washington DC) that have ape hangers for me to try out. My only option is to buy online. I don't know what would be a good height! I looked online and I see some great bikes, but there are no indicators on the size of the bikes or size of the handlebars. On top of that, there are pictures of just the bikes without anyone on them so it's difficult to visualize.

Any tips/rough guides on trying to figure out how to decide a good height?

I'm 6 feet tall.

I'm going to post in the "Show me your......." section to see if people will post some pics.

Thanks!!!!

The only advise I can give you.
Sit on the bike and hold your hands up like you're holding onto apes, find the most comfortable position for your arms. Then have someone measure from the stem to your hand, and measure from hand to hand.
That should give you a rough estimate on height and width.

Falstaff is right.

If you have a conduit bender for electrical work or can borrow one, you can do a few mock ups for about $2. Probably get 2 mock up bars out of a 10 ft piece of conduit.

I think Falstaffs advice is as good as it gets. That's more or less what I did when putting apes on a 20 dollar cruiser. Other issues sidelined that bike for now and the apes are on a 70s huffy cruiser I picked up later. This is not a science, a few inches one way or the other probably won't make a noticeable difference.

I
Falstaff is right.

If you have a conduit bender for electrical work or can borrow one, you can do a few mock ups for about $2. Probably get 2 mock up bars out of a 10 ft piece of conduit.
saw a post somewhere where someone suggested using wire coat hangers for a mock up. Just don't tell Joan Crawford!

Boogie,
Check out The Olde Bike Shop in Arlington, they have a ton of old bikes and might be able to help you out with ideas. There is also Bull Run Bicycles in Manassas, they don't usually stock apes but I have ordered them from this shop in the past. I live in NoVa and have a few different sizes and styles if you want to test fit a some bars.

Twen

Back