How to de-bling my chrome?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just getting started on my first build and i did end up buying some new and repop parts which are chromed. I sort of hate the idea of faking a patina but on the other hand i don't like the ultra shinny chrome, that's just not the look i want but i couldn't pass up the prices, it was all cheaper than original or later parts in need of repair. I was thinking of hitting the few chrome bits i will have with some 400 grit then a bit of matte clear coat to keep the rust away (i want a used patina, not a rusty patina). Other than paint any one have some suggested methods?

I use the traditional Scotch-Brite pad awash in WD-40 method, gives it a dull-ish stainless steel or even aluminum look.

Or another thing you could do is give it a rainbow effect like a heated motorcycle pipe. Muratic acid will sometimes do that. Or to give it a oldschool blacksmith look heat it till it's almost cherry red then dunk it in oil. :mrgreen:

Both good ideas but i think i will give socal jack's a try since i already have a scotch brite and wd40. I don't have Muratic acid (where the heck would you find that?) and not access to a torch though the oil quenching method sounds very cool and is probably going to get closer to that oil soaked patina i'd like, perhaps in the future (this is my first build). Thanks for the suggestions!

Brentley said:
Both good ideas but i think i will give socal jack's a try since i already have a scotch brite and wd40. I don't have Muratic acid (where the heck would you find that?) and not access to a torch though the oil quenching method sounds very cool and is probably going to get closer to that oil soaked patina i'd like, perhaps in the future (this is my first build). Thanks for the suggestions!

Muratic acid can be found in the plumbing department of most hardware stores. :wink:

HotRodRob said:
Most new chrome stuff is chinsy enough that 1 or 2 days out in the rain with no protection will reap about 20 years of patina :lol:
This is so true! The chrome these days couldn't be any thinner. I am still amazed at how well the chrome on a 50 year old bike left out in the weather will clean up. It's amazing. The plating was just like the bikes, made to last & last! They don't make em like they used to, not even close. :!:

You need to de-bling your chrome, and I need to re-bling my chrome :mrgreen:

Soak the parts in White vinegar for about 1-2 weeks. The plating will come off in big flakes. Especially if it's not the old stuff.

Lonewolf said:
Soak the parts in White vinegar for about 1-2 weeks. The plating will come off in big flakes. Especially if it's not the old stuff.
That might do nicely as well, the scotch brite pads have been doing a pretty good job but there is still quite a bit of shine. I'll have to try it on some smaller bits and see how it looks.

Back