how strong are these laid back seat posts??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
will they bend easy? anyone have experience with them.....lmk
IMG_9075.61202734_std.jpg

normally about as strong as a normal post of the same size. I'm 240lbs and had no problems. Normally IF they bend they will bend a little at the point where it enters the frame under the brace bar.

depends how high your gonna run it. i have seen them fail when ran high as they are sorta thin metal. they are ok just take it easy on them

They`ll still bend in the usual places if you have it too far out of the seat tube. That brace just prevents the bend in the bend, got it? lol

In the '80s, they were made from chro-mo, and were pretty beefy, but if you slipped both pedals because you missed the transition and hit the flat bottom from 8 feet out, you'd bust your huevos AND bend the post. Unless you're 280#+, you should be good for cruisin' with a good one. If it's mild steel, well... you get what you pay for.

if your fat like me you can weld a length of 5/8 rod up from the bottom to keep it from bending at the clamp. :lol:

another mod i have seen done is to find a wood dowel that you can hammer into the post from the bottom. this helps the bottom where the post comes out of the frame and keeps it from pinching then bending.

karfer67 said:
another mod i have seen done is to find a wood dowel that you can hammer into the post from the bottom. this helps the bottom where the post comes out of the frame and keeps it from pinching then bending.

:lol: :lol: only a guy as skinny as you would suggest wood...

If you can live with one without the brace, fellow member 10~18 Kustoms (Marty) custom makes them any length & any angle. I got one from him for my own use. It is made of solid stock, not hollow & there ain't nothin stronger in my opinion. Reasonably priced as well.

It seems like I had one of these when I raced BMX back in the 80's and was reliable enough. But then I was 40 lbs. lighter. I would probably do the "wood" mod as it is the most forgiving, don't want to crack the frame. Get a pine or some other soft wood dowel, I would think, and you'll be fine.

karfer67 said:
I've used this method myself with much success. I found the dowel at my local Home Depot. 8)

Back