how low do you put your seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so im an old mountain biker, and always put my seat so my lowest leg was about 98% straight when downward.

now im into cruising, and am wondering, do i still put my seat up high enough to be almost fully extended? its like that now, but i find myself leaning forward plus it looks funny being that high on a "cruiser" type of bike like my electra

thanks for the help

I'm about 6' tall, but my upper half makes up more of my height than my legs do. I run my cruiser seats all the way or almost all the way down. Cruisin' is mainly about style more than comfort anyway, right? :wink: 8)

I like mine high, legs mostly extended, but with the handlebars up high too so I don't have to stoop. I think I'd enjoy having a bent back post so I could have my seat low but legs still extended. It's definitely all about the comfort....well maybe the style too, but comfort is more important too me.

I am just under 6', but I like mine low. This is my bike at work. I spend more time on this bike than any other I have. The seat is less than 3/4" above the tire. It is comfortable for me.
SatMar06210231CST2010.jpg

quarter.jpg

I could see just rolling around in a limited or crowded area at low speed, on a bike that's mostly a styling exercise, with the seat down at flat foot height, but it's not for me. If you want to move out, or actually get somewhere, keep it up, and get a bigger handle bar.

Keep in mind that 99% of the bikes we use were made for 12 year old kids from the fifties and sixties. So, if your the size of a 12 year old, from the sixties, keep your seat LOW........If not raise it up. Personally, when I see a pic of a "cool" bike, with a dropped seat, I like it.......Then when I see a six foot (plus) guy on it, it makes me laugh. Take your PICTURES with the seat low, then raise it . :D

Thatismytruck's bike (he's a GIANT)........One of my favorites.

IMG00240-20100404-1719.jpg

Depends on how much you`re actually going to ride. If the saddle height is low and you ride much distance, you risk injuring your knees. If you`re just cruising the `hood you can get away with nearly anything...at least for awhile.

If I don't have my seat so my leg fully extends, or comes dang close, my right knee swells up and hurts like a mother after about 20 minutes of riding. I wish I could find another tall sissy bar for one of my Stingray's. Even though I am 6 foot I like riding a Stingray. I found a really long sissy bar on Ebay about 3 years ago and I cant find another one.

seetheusachevy said:
If I don't have my seat so my leg fully extends, or comes dang close, my right knee swells up and hurts like a mother after about 20 minutes of riding. I wish I could find another tall sissy bar for one of my Stingray's. Even though I am 6 foot I like riding a Stingray. I found a really long sissy bar on Ebay about 3 years ago and I cant find another one.
MAKE ONE! :lol:

Kota is pretty much on the money! drop your seat for pics and to accentuate the lines of your bike,raise it up when its time to ride! 8) it becomes second nature after you`ve built enough of them. :wink:

as low as itll go(same with the stem) and i can say its very comfy and my bikes get lots of miles(although on really long rides with the elgin my knees get sore since its fixed and has super tall gearing :wink: )

Back