How Far Gone is Too Far Gone?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi Folks,
This is my first post so I thought I'd dive right in with this.
So... What do you think? I have access to this old Aristocrat. Interesting frame.
Rusty but seems solid, although no way to be sure until blasting it.
Anyone know anything about them?
I've got a buddy that owes me some powdercoat work but I'm trying to decide whether this one is worth the trouble or should I move on?
Seems complete and I could probably pick it for next to nothing. But it's...well...you can see by the close up of the head badge what the rest of the frame is like.
Thoughts or opinions?
IMG_1455_zps0c2eee80.jpg

IMG_1456_zps1e49ead0.jpg

You will know after you sand blast it.
Looks like you may have some fun with those cottered cranks.
Do some google searches about how to take them apart before you start.

No bike is ever too far gone! If its not ridable, then it can be made into art!

Don't let them rust away in a barn! Bring them in the light no matter how crusty!

if it were me, i'd pass on it... but not due to the rust. If you like step-thrus and whatever BB shell is lurking behind that terrible crank, don't let the rust stop you...

I would pass, but not due to rust either. The problem with the bike is that the frame style is too common. You can find something with the same style frame (two top bars, one downtube) for next to nothing and without the rust, maybe even with decent original paint. And without the cottered cranks. Then you would have a standard BB, which makes it easier and cheaper to find replacement parts or to customize if you ever wanted to go that route. If you get into that BB and booger up one part, be it a bearing, shaft, crank , or cotter pin, you will be on the search for some random little part that the cost may exceed the value of the finished product. Columbia, rollfast, murray, and several other companies used that type frame and I have found complete bikes in great shape for anywhere from free to a few bucks. Womens bikes are usually easier to find in decent shape so they don't command the money mens' bikes do, unless it is a very rare model or has desirable parts that will fit the male counterpart. Bottom line, you can likely get much more for much less cost/investment.

If you can sit on the seat and bounce up and down a bit and it doesn't break in half it's not too far gone. Just don't put a motor on it or anything crazy. I've had a number of rusty old bikes that looked as if they'd fall apart at the first bump but never did.

It's a girls bike...strike one. It's a foreign made bike...strike two. It's a rust bucket...strike three, you're outta there! :p Gary

Thanks for all the honest feedback guys. Given all the negatives I decided to....get it. I ended up getting it for free.
Brought it to work and stripped it down. Came apart with no issues and am in the process of cleaning parts.
Not sure what will become of it, right now it's feeling like a nasty looking she-rat.
So far all I have in it is time, and while time has value so does the therapy of wrenching, cleaning, scrubbing, throwing, whacking, cussing, etc... I'm approaching it as a learning tool to help me "hone my skills" while waiting for a better bike to show itself. I'll keep you posted!

Mope Head said:
Thanks for all the honest feedback guys. Given all the negatives I decided to....get it. I ended up getting it for free.
Brought it to work and stripped it down. Came apart with no issues and am in the process of cleaning parts.
Not sure what will become of it, right now it's feeling like a nasty looking she-rat.
So far all I have in it is time, and while time has value so does the therapy of wrenching, cleaning, scrubbing, throwing, whacking, cussing, etc... I'm approaching it as a learning tool to help me "hone my skills" while waiting for a better bike to show itself. I'll keep you posted!

Don't ditch that crank til you're sure about how the BB is threaded, and that you can get a replacement crank that'll fit. Hopefully, it's a basic BSA shell, and anything will fit.... But, it's old enough, plus it seems to be German, so who knows whatcha got there. (Pray it's not french- or swiss-threaded)

Well, it came out easily enough and looked to be in pretty decent shape. So far my plan is to clean it up, grease it and use it.

Back