How do I upgrade my Stingray 16" front tire to a larger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed a lot of images on the web of the Krate style Stingrays with the springer fork where the 16" front tire is replaced by a larger tire. Curious how this is done. Will the springer fork that comes with a Walmart Stingray fit a larger tire or do I have to upgrade the fork? Wondering if I just need to get a 20" rim and replace it. Any advice.

yep, a normal 20" will fit. A bmx rim will work. I see your new, dont forget to post an intro to tell us about yourself and your bikes. Welcome, Mark

So if I go with a 20" tire the fender is obsolete? Is there a way to get the fender to work?

It is easier to just buy/get a 20inch fender..the 16inch fender is not big enough..don't forget to remove the fender hanger from the forks! Good luck and post a pic of the bike..I think we all have those Stingrays here..lol

So any advice on where to buy a rim and a tire that will keep this bike looking sharp. Are there stingray specific rims and tires I should try?

any local bike shop should have a chrome steel 20" front rim and tire to suit ya. they are pretty common so the price should be nice and cheap. porbly have the fenders too.

if your talking about a BFK or wal-mart Stingray, anything you can find will do. the older stingrays that were made in chicago had smaller axles. but i dont think the axle size matters if you have a springer type fork.

Thank man. I guess my only other question is the riding performance of these two sized tires. Will the bike ride better and faster with the 20" up front as compared to the 16"?

I guess by squirrely you mean more stable. I live in New Orleans where it is very flat. We have some torn up streets, but there are some smooth ones. The french quarter is great for riding. Everyone has a bike down there.

Back