how do I re-cover my seat?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jan

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of questions. I have a black sports seat, on my single-speed project, and I want a white instead.

1) what kind of material do I use to re-cover my seat?
2) how do I do, to make the material nice and smooth, without rinkles?
3) how do I attach the material to the seat?

If you know how to, mayby even got some photos,it would be a great help.

I just did one Saturday. I covered the pan with a coat of Weldwood Contact Cement. I let it tack up for 10 minutes. Then I put a pad of 1/2" thick high density green foam on the pan. I bought this at Jo-Ann Fabric (the women there are merciless; you have to wait in line forever at the cutting table). I wrapped this around and around with grass string to hold it in place. After 8 hours, I unwrapped the string and trimmed the edges flush with the pan. Then I laid the foam-covered pan on the backside of my vinyl. I pulled the vinyl up to the pan all around and marked it with a Sharpie. Then I allowed 1.5" more for lapping inside the pan. I spread more contact cement on the vinyl inside the lines I drew. It is best not to get it too wet, just an even coat; this reduces the possibility of soak through. Now the important part: I heated the vinyl with a hairdryer until it was really hot and pliable. This is how you get it to stretch best and not leave wrinkles. I then set the foam covered pan inside the drawn image, centering it and began smoothing it onto the foam with my hands. Then I flipped it over onto a towel and started pulling it over the edge of the pan. You really have to pull and tug; your hands will get sore. The edge kind of holds it in place, particularly in the concave area between the horn and the rear of the pan. You can use the hair dryer more as needed. Then it is just a matter of spreading more contact cement on the inside of the pan and sticking the vinyl down to it. It adheres rather quickly but you can pull up and reposition as needed while working it. I used a razor blade to trim down bulky folds on the backside. Just be careful not to trim too close to the edge of the pan or it may pull loose down the road. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back