How do I fit a girls shockmaster springer fork to a boys frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I know that I need to extend the threading on the long head tube then trim off the excess length, but what about the truss rods that connect to the springs? Will the springs compress enough to allow me to install the fork? Will the truss rod threads need to be extended as well? If I compress the springs enough to install the fork, will they still work as a shock absorber with all that preload?

I have not done this, but I'd say you need to shorten the truss rods also. Pre-loading the fork would not be desirable IMHO.

Don't cut off the excess length, just add washers or spacers [like the threadless forks have].Or you could add washers or spacers to the bottom,
underneath the bottom bearing race and the top race nut? to make the space even.:cool2:

I extended the head tube on my 20" frame to make a 26" Elgin fork work on my build (a number of years ago). I let this thing set idle for the past 12 years. Now I am planning on making some changes and finishing the project. Not cutting & shorting the steering tube allows me to use the original truss rods.

i47OOwS.jpg

XAXe7dG.jpg

Back