how do i add links to a chain?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is there anyway other than adding multiple master links. to add length to a chain.

I have the chain breaker but can i somehow use the same tool to put links back together.

-thanks.

sure is man, on the chain you want to use, dont push the pin all the way out, get an old chain and "break" it to the setion of links you want, then add it in. thats how i do it anyway. just make sure its the same pitch/width chain and all. :wink:

I went to Wal-Mart and bought the $2 chain tool....I dont understand how people break 'em! I had my chain fixed in seconds...does it get harder if the chain is old and rusty...is that what can break these things?

OldSkoolD said:
I went to Wal-Mart and bought the $2 chain tool....I dont understand how people break 'em! I had my chain fixed in seconds...does it get harder if the chain is old and rusty...is that what can break these things?

What you will find is that after 4 or 5 uses the small tab in the center that is used to hold the link in place will eventually bend and then snap off. They are made out of cheap pot metal.

I have broken my second one and don't plan to buy anymore.

Hello Park!

Repetitive use and chain condition will affect the life of the tool. The cheap ones are usually made of pot metal and will break at some point. Park and others cast from a more durable metal.

rat rods right, same thing happened with my "pyramid" chain breaker. first the little rubber caps that hold the bar in place fall off and get lost at about 2 uses, then bout the 10th chain the chian stay bent and broke off, next use broke 2 of the 3 remainingtabs on it.

get a PARK TOOL

CCR said:
rat rods right, same thing happened with my "pyramid" chain breaker. first the little rubber caps that hold the bar in place fall off and get lost at about 2 uses, then bout the 10th chain the chian stay bent and broke off, next use broke 2 of the 3 remainingtabs on it.

get a PARK TOOL

my story too... :x

i go through one of those ever 2 or 3 chains, and everytime i tell myself "next time im gonna spend the money on a shop quality tool!"
those walmart ones are ok to keep in the tool bag on the bike i.c.e, but not for regular use. of course.....me throwing them and cussing like a drunken sailor when i cant get a chain to do my bidding certainly doesn't help!
fast eddie outty

Latest posts

Back