How? Bob a rear fender.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm giving some thought to bobbing a rear fender. I haven't done this before so am seeking advice on best ways to stabilize the material as well as tool(s) for cutting it. I have a hack saw and a 4.5" angle grinder available, but no vise unfortunately.

Cliff

Really slick with a Dremel and the small reinforced metal cutoff wheel.

I make a cardboard pattern for one side of the fender, trace it on with a Sharpie, flip the cardboard over and use the mirror image on the other half. You don't need a vice, but clamping the fender in a bike stand really helps. Cut it out and then I spend another 5 minutes with the little Dremel drum sander and a hand file to get it perfectly smooth and even.

I love bobbed fenders!

IMAG0358.jpg

I lay the front fender over the rear fender and trace the outline for the bob.

I cut a 45 deg angle in both directions about 1/4"" away from the line with tin snips (now a point)

Follow up with smaller cuts closser to the line

A little bench grinding,filing and maybe a sanding block...done

Thanks guys. Just this evening I had the same idea of tracing the front fender shape onto the rear for a pattern. Seems like a good idea. I have a Dremel, some cutoff wheels, grinding points, and sanding discs. I'll give it a try.

Tailwinds, that paint job is a beauty. I've been considering something similar in metal flake blue and black on my fender.

Cliff

Back