Hotrod's Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys,i'am new to the site ,well here's my story,my son been wanting me to build him a bike,he was graduating from 8th grade, i been slowly working on a jig to do the build, got the jig done and only had 5 days,started on the 26th of May finished on the 30th 3hrs before his party!
100_0633-1.jpg

forks built and ready to mock up the frame
100_0634.jpg

rolled some 1 1/2"tubing for thr main frame that was fun
100_0635.jpg

frame pieces cut and fitted and tack together
100_0636.jpg

rear dropouts off occ frame
100_0637.jpg

used 1"tubing for rear arms
100_0639.jpg

all welded up time to move up to the crank
100_0638.jpg

crank in place to make brackets
100_0640.jpg

used chain guard bracket that was welded to the crank
100_0641.jpg

mock up some 5/8 tubing to help fill in the gap alittle
100_0642.jpg

tubes welded in place
100_0646.jpg

desided to wrap around and attach the two tubes together for a clean look
100_0649.jpg

bottom brake bracket for suicide brake handle
sorry guys wife had the camera after it was painted and when i was putting it together in the bathroom the night before his party so my son couldnt see it because it was a surprize,so here's the finished pics for you.
100_0664.jpg
100_0665.jpg
100_0666.jpg
100_0667.jpg
100_0668.jpg
100_0669.jpg
100_0670.jpg
100_0671.jpg

had a problem with chain used a skateboard wheel for now
100_0672.jpg
100_0673.jpg
100_0674.jpg
100_0675.jpg

needed a brake knob had a number 14 poolball,he is 14 years old so i thought it would be cool to used.
100_0676.jpg
100_0677.jpg

here's the seat i had in my pile of bike parts,but he says its a hard to sit on,if anybody nows where i could get a good seat that is comfortable and looks cool let me know,or any other suggestion about the bike tell me,thank you for looking at the bike.still have fenders to build but i dont want to rush them . P.S this site is awsome!

Awesome work, I am sure your son loves it, as for the seat, with the skills you have I am sure you could make something better than anything you could buy.

gaskill said:
how do you make a chain tension-er out of a skateboard wheel?

Looks like he welded a post off the the seat tube, and either welded or threaded a piece of threaded rod from it, and put a skateboard wheel and bearings on it... also looks like he cut a groove in the wheel for the chain to ride in, I've done that to skateboard wheels before, it's pretty easy. Just chuck it up in a drill press or something, take a small chisel and slowly cut the groove into it. Urethane's pretty soft.

thanks guys for your comments, and as for the skate board wheel ,FunkyStickman said it,i used a thread coupler and slide it down the tube and welded it up,and groov'n the wheel ,drill press and a small chisel,stake board wheels are nice and quite.

metalman72 said:
thanks guys for your comments, and as for the skate board wheel ,FunkyStickman said it,i used a thread coupler and slide it down the tube and welded it up,and groov'n the wheel ,drill press and a small chisel,stake board wheels are nice and quite.
Thank you for building such an awesome bike! I'm really diggin the suicide brake handle... I may have to attempt something like that in the future! Killer build. And no, this ain't my first time around a workshop! :wink:

this site is greater now that you're here. geeze that bike is great. what a lucky kid, what a great dad.

Fireproof said:
Really nice work! Thanks for showing the build! 8)
And to think that some people say OCC bikes should go into the trash! The nerve!
thanks for the comments Fireproof,i dont like the OCC frames to much ,but thr wheels,tires,cranks,etc are good stuff to build a new chopper bike ,all bikes have good potential including OCC .

Back