Hot Rod Spaceliner - by B4C

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Forgot to mention...

I AM looking for an early Spaceliner/Cosmic Flyer style tank!

If anybody's holding.....

I know.....its been almost a month with no new posts!! Sorry guys and dolls!! But....

I'M BAAAAAACK!! [emoji12]

Between getting the wife's bike done, work, getting back to working on the truck, and really being wishy-washy on what I wanted to do for finish on the Spaceliner....well, enough excuses!!

So, I sat down in the garage last night with my frame, sandpaper, and a wire brush and got the frame as far as I could. It now looks like..
6cabda9085b9baa3c4dc8110a783970f.jpg

No, it's not chrome, and it doesn't look as good in person as it does in the pic. I have to run by the parts house and get a can of rust fix (rust converter) to kill the rust I can't get with sandpaper or wire brush. Then it's on to final finish.

I did have some major pitting on the head tube where the tank originally sat. Too deep to file down and would be too noticeable under paint only, so I pulled out the BIG GUNS...JBWeld!! Mixed up a little and spread it on like peanut butter!! We'll see what it looks like this afternoon!!

I've chosen white, only because I want to use appliance epoxy aerosol and it only comes in 2 colors...black and white. I already have a black Spaceliner, so white it is!!

Now I have a question...has anyone ever used appliance epoxy? Do I need to prime before paint?

Thanks for any input, on paint and anything else you see me doing wrong!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Now I have a question...has anyone ever used appliance epoxy? Do I need to prime before paint?
I check to see if the company that made the paint has a website for the primer question...

Carl. (someday I'll build a Spaceliner...)

Thanks for the input @GuitarlCarl !

I just pulled the web page up...Appliance epoxy is for Interior use only! UGGH!! I am now looking at farm implement paint! Alkyd Enamel...I guess if its tough enough for a tractor, it ought to work on a bike! Now I can look at some colors, albeit tractor colors!

Still leaning toward white, but I will admit, an orange Hot Rod Spaceliner would be cool! Hmmmmmmm....

OK, took a field trip at lunch...Ollie's "Good Stuff Cheap" Bargain Outlet! IF you haven't been to one, GO...just to see what your store has. Aerosol paints as cheap as 99 cents a can!!

My local store had several shelves of PlastiKote Car Color aerosols, an acrylic lacquer touch-up/panel repair product. Most of them were base coats for a base/clear application, but I found a pre-2000 Ford metallic silver that did not require a clearcoat. This might be my budget-friendly route to take.

Any thoughts on acrylic lacquer?

I'm trying to remember if I've used acrylic lacquer before...

I had a liner painted Kubota red, which is actually orange; with white trim. It didn't look bad.

I still can't remember if I've used acrylic lacquer before...

Though I don't remember the brand as it was about 20 years ago, I used flat black "appliance epoxy" (being a one-part, I don't know how much is just marketing or real) for part of the hood on a car. Stood up well for a couple years to leading edge chipping and even a fallen tree didn't damage the paint. The only real issues had to do with it being flat black (graying, bird droppings sticking, etc.).

I don't have a great picture because those were the days when pictures cost money, but this is after the tree. Lucky I saw it in time to brake so it didn't go through the windshield (and, yes, you can see that I've always been weird). IIRC, the paint was fine even where the strut tower nuts left an impression in the hood.

225069_6640268190_9818_n.jpg

Ok....as promised....

COLOR!!!

d52066531c7dafeb86636874d343b409.jpg

4629df53e0278761502d24ae2b9abc5b.jpg

5d1a168070df65d99a7944ea2cb3a4bc.jpg

It's Dupli-Color Sunburst Gold Metallic...no idea of the original vehicle!! It was an Ollie's score a year or so ago...59 cents for a 5 oz. can!! Used two of them over a red oxide primer base.

Thoughts?

It looked great bare! I love the gold though!! :21:

CCICVmmUkAAwVA8.jpg

Not meaning to high jack the thread but when I was teaching we had a miscreant that liked our finish room/paint booth. One day he went in and came out looking like the guy in the picture, only blue. I asked him if he had been huffing paint in there. His reply was no, I don't do that stuff. I told him to go look in the mirror, he did, heard him say oh ----.

Latest posts

Back