Hot Rod 'Liner, a couple more ride pics

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Rod 'Liner

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the great comments and compliments. I hope it means that this build finally “pops”. It makes me super happy!

I just spent 2 full days (out of town) in mind-bending, insanely-detailed, all-day meetings.
So on the breaks, I started to draw out and idea I was tossing around last weekend.

I saw Yon Fink’s suggestion for the all metal seat (Thanks!) and I am inspired to pursue my idea for an all-metal, single-spring road bike seat. I have an enormous Trek springer -seat that the frame can be unbolted. Here are my concept drawings;
Seat2.jpg

The most important part would have to be the front pivot. It has to not only pivot but keep the back part of the seat from rocking side to side. The Trek front pivot is too cheap to do that so I need to think of something more robust and attachment methods while keeping the weight reasonable. I've been on a few other springer seats that have very little padding but are sprung soft so it is a hard seat but comfortable ride.

I’m open for ideas on the pivot. Anybody seen anything like this before? Can anybody think of any fatal flaws?

I received the bigger tires and I have to modify either the frame braces or make the drop out slots deeper. I’ll have to see more when I get the tubes and inflate them. I don’t have the time or talent to do the cool drop-out extensions some of the other guys are doing.

I found out yesterday that I will be out of town (on business) for the next 2 weeks. So I’ll update my responses better and look at other people's bikes for a while. CycleTruck totally clued me into the San Antonio scene so I’m looking forward to riding and hanging with them on the weekend.

Of course, I thought about it a little more and applied the KISS principle.

My neighbor collects old (all metal) tractor seats. I'll be looking for some spring steel when I get back.

My dad has a sweet tractor seat from an old John Deere and I've been bugging him for it for years. They look so great on a rat!

Hey Skipton,
Thanks for the link. That seat is awesome and shiny.

Thanks Slowerisbetter,
I never thought that those seats could be so cool. 8)
Post a pic of your Dad's seat.

I got some parts and got some stuff done.
I wanted to check out a few things and ride!
So here is the rideable version.
ShinyHRLiner.jpg

My wife got into the celebration and snapped a few. Here's the proof. It rides...
HRLinerRide.jpg

It's different than any other bike I've ridden. And it is shiny. :D
It rides stiff right now.
Its geared hard and it's 27 lbs.
I liked the thinner Conti up front better than the rear matching 35mm.
Seat may not be final. It's pretty comfortable though.
I figured out the stem issue and I have the right one in now.
I have to get it going faster when I fix my slight clearance issue. 45mm+2
Clearence.jpg

A hammer and a wooden dowel will make some room.
How do the cloth grips look on Hipster Bars II?
I've got lots of details yet but they have to wait for a while.
My wife has an idea for a grill and trunk. We'll see what happens.

I'm happy...

Oh Man!

I love this bike... So glad you took the logos off the wheels

Are the bars the same in both pics?

I like in the first pic... How the bar ends look like a dry lakes racer Lake Pipe

The tire combo looks great. the rear looks Huge!

Still thinking about a bobbed fender?

As the Coasties guy I hate to say it....but the bike looks way better without our stickers.

Looking forward to the metal sprung saddle!

You going to keep that up high riding position or go for a lower, slower setup?

I love the chain Guard.

P.s. Sent some extra goodies to you in the mail.

-Johnny

Thanks for the compliments Guys,

I rode it a bit more that day and it rode pretty well. The aluminum parts make it solid more than too tight, more like a road bike.

I think I have to flip the hub gear to get a better chainline. Something is making noiseback there.

The bars are the same but they look differnt at various angles. I planned it that way the whole time :lol:

Spot on about the lake pipes, Skipton!

I'm not much of a sticker guy so they had to come off. I'm gonna try to get the tire stckers off too.

I had to look at it a bit but I like the tire combo now.

Some kind of fender back there is on my mind but I have to find a way to pull it off.

I got some advice from my fantasic welder guy about someone that makes thin custom springs. We'll see... :D

Thanks for the extra tubes, Johnnyc.

The chain guard is still going on so I have to find a way of attaching it yet.

I'm going to do some sketches and I'll post some pics with the chain guard in a tank/grill like position (jsut to see what might look good)

Those wheels & that crank look awesome on that bike. I'm using the same frame, but the two bikes look totally different. You are way ahead of me though! 8)

pick said:
Those wheels & that crank look awesome on that bike. I'm using the same frame, but the two bikes look totally different. You are way ahead of me though! 8)

Thanks for the compliment. I wouldn't necessarily do the BB/crank thing again on this frame though.
Probably only took off 1/2 lb but I do like the look.
Isn't it great that so many people can find their individual style with the same frame? :D
I like your build alot too. Black Chrome--Wow. We've defintietly got some stiff competition from the other 'Liners.

Gold Street Customs said:
Thats not a tire clearance issue, thats one of them road bike tire scrapers :lol: I really love this build, I want to ride it :mrgreen:

You're so right. I see those crazy tri bikes and I don't feel too bad.
Thanks for the compliment.
If you ever make it up here, you can give it a try.

I can't wait to get back and start in again but I had a really great time with the SALSA gang last Saturday in SA.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=41903

Well, I had fun with the San Antonio bike scene but I'm glad to be back and getting some stuff done.

I swap out the handle bars so I can get used to the bike a bit.

The rear tire clearance issue had to get addressed
I tried a few things but didn't move it very much.
I used my kid trick and pried against the tire to get the chain the tightest with enough room.
It brought back old memories.
Good enough for now.

IMG_3824.jpg

Measured the chain line and it was okay.
So while I had the back tire off, I went through the hub.
Everything was pretty well grease with some black grease.
So I cleaned everything up and started over.
I used a new grease concoction because I couldn't find the white lithium.
It's a little crazy but I'll see how it works over the long run.
About 20% anti-seze grease and 80% synthetic Teflon.
I've run anti-seize (10%) before with the lithium and it worked pretty well.
I took apart a Bendix I had to see the differences.
Left the bearings a little loose to wear in.

IMG_3813.jpg

Sun came out for just a bit so I had to get a shiny shot.

IMG_3835.jpg

The bike rides and coasts really smooth. Very solid but not too stiff.
The rear tire at 60 psi gives some nice suspension.

I went for a ride a little father this time about 5 miles (cautiously).

Of course, that only lasted so long.

FREEDOM!

IMG_3826II.jpg

Under the seat shot.

IMG_3830II.jpg

Made it to the park.

IMG_3832II.jpg

I rode home but then jones'd to push it faster. It's geared hard. It going to go fast. :D
I got my speedometer strapped on and went out again.
As soon as I hit about 17.8 mph (under hard accel) I started hearing a rubbing noise.
The BB screw worked it's way loose and the gear started hitting the frame.
Got it back (gently) with much coasting and without wrecking the chain ring.

Well, more work ahead.
I have to take it apart again anyway to check the conversion bolts too.
I'll use loctite this time.
It was all part of the plan... :lol:

It's a fun bike.

you have the same bars i started with! your build has very good lines. 17 mph it pretty good for a single speed. I think it would be cool to drill 32 3/4" holes in each wheel between each spoke to lighten it up! it could be a little risky they might have to be dimples inwards to keep the strength in the wheel. any way i would roll it!

lookin good bro! I have to admit I'm a little jealous! 8)

Hey Guys,

imagearchy said:
you have the same bars i started with! your build has very good lines. 17 mph it pretty good for a single speed. I think it would be cool to drill 32 3/4" holes in each wheel between each spoke to lighten it up! it could be a little risky they might have to be dimples inwards to keep the strength in the wheel. any way i would roll it!

That’s about right, the near-finished version of mine is the beginning version of yours. :lol:
Those bars work really good for pumping on accel (due to the hard gearing). I think they look good too but I’ll probably stick the Hipster bars back on for the end.

Thanks for the compliment about the lines. Spaceliners naturally have lots of them. Hopefully I can at least enhance them. I’m looking forward to adding on the chain guard, grill, and maybe rear fender during vacation. :D

The 17mph was just getting up to speed. I’m hoping for 23-24 top speed with this gear, wheel set up.
That’s how fast I got on my mtn bike with equivalent gears/tires.

I really like when the put those radar signs up. I like seeing if I can “Break the law” by exceeding 25 mph.
After getting back to best ride shape, I might stick a 14 rear tooth and a smaller Conti on back and see what speed is possible. I’ll post pics of the speedo.

I did a personal best before I left for San Antonio. I used my Trek cruiser (24 lbs, single speed coaster-38-14 gearing) to get an 18 mph average for a 12mile ride. No speedo pics though, just Google maps and clock.

I’m hoping to get this thing bulletproof enough to go fast for extended periods.

Your wheel idea is interesting. Not sure if I have the skills or the guts to try it. Your build on the other hand is full tilt! I think it’s about as light as it’s going to get. I may drill the solid aluminum seat post to lighten it.

If YOU would ride this bike, then I must be doing something right.

pick said:

Thanks for the compliment. You’ll be cruising in style in no time. Plus you have at least an extra month of cruising weather down there. :D

BTW: If the pic of the handle bars don’t explain it: FREEDOM= No Hands.

On more back yard shot

27Jun11082.jpg

Still thinking about the spring steel seat. I'm having a tough time choosing between riding and build now.

pick said:

+ 1! :D

MplsCoaster said:
Hey Guys, I'm having a tough time choosing between riding and build now.

I can completely understand why! :mrgreen:

Great bike!

Latest posts

Back