Home made Truing stand.. yeah, another one ;-)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a bunch of wheels lying around and have never trued one before, but hey, how hard can it be. I surfed the internet and found some ideas for making your own stand, and what I made is heavily influenced by a guy who used a precision meter from Harbor freight.

What's DIFFERENT about this design from any other I've seen is that one of the upright is movable. The reason I did this is that I didn't want to sit around working out how to make decisions about how to make something that can work with a wide variety of rims ( standard axle, quick release, 700s etc) so I just wanted to build something that worked for anything. I also didn't want to have to use wheel nuts. I just wanted to bang the wheel in there and have it held very firmly.

.. and it works REALLY WELL. First wheel I trued, I got it down to 6/1000ths of an inch, and I think that's pretty .... good. I was disappointed seeing that needle sway back and forth, until I eyeballed the rim, and it looked absolutely perfect. 6 thousandths is nothing.

Good times.

If anyone wants any more details just let me know. I spent $25 on the gauge and magnetic mount and then had everything else lying around, but most people probably don't have the slider / T bar setup lying around unfortunately. I probably got this stuff at Rockler, and if you bought it you'd get the price up to $50, but still. I looked at the cheapo wheel tuner at Performance bike tonight for $70 and it's really not even close to the same quality.

Very happy with it. Here's a pic.

1000000788.JPG

More pics, and explanations here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/gnoshmepics/BikeProjects

K

hey wump, loved goin thru your pics and i truely like the maroon motored big towards the end....any specs on that thing?
also the build up on the truing stand is interesting, do you or have you experienced and "slop" issues towards the top of the uprights? it was just a thought of rigidness but it is just mounting a wheel i suppose. lol
Thanks,
Ryan 8)

I like your work. Your stand is similar to the P&K Lie stand which is Uber cool but also sells for Uber bucks ($2000).
Did the T-Square come from a power plane?

Back