Holla from Norwalk... (CA, that is)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I helped a buddy move a long while back, who was tossing out a pair of old beach cruisers. I didn't know what make or model they were but they were free, so I took them and figured I'd fix them up SOME DAY. Years passed, and I never got around to doing anything with them. They just leaned against the fence in my backyard rusting away (who knew this was a good thing).

My lust for rust started when I visited this website a few years back, probably sometime around 06 or 07. Back then, I only had a Trek mountain bike that I would take on some trails, but really wanted to get to work on the 2 cruisers I had. I never gave those bikes any thought until a few months back, I said to myself "What the heck happened to those cruisers I had?" They weren't in the backyard anymore. I figured someone hopped the fence and clucked 'em...

I had no idea what a rat rod was until I stumbled onto this site. Many of you have the sickest bikes I've seen, and around my 'hood (NORWALK, CA) there aint much except bare boned road bikes, and "low-rider" bikes by the one-ways. Long story short, I was short on some cash, so I sold my Trek Mtn Bike to a buddy for $75 bucks and wanted a new beach cruiser.

A week later, my NEXT DOOR neighbor George, the neighborhood handymand and closet hoarder, was cleaning out his "backyard" (think of scrapyard meets swapmeet) and wheeled out a pair of familiar old rusted beach cruisers. My jaw dropped as he told me they were the bikes in my backyard years ago. He told me my old man tossed them out and he picked em up before the trash man came to grab them. He asked if I wanted one, cause if not he was going to toss them. Before he finished his sentence, I grabbed one of the bikes and so it began... It was an early 90s Murray Westport.

My neighbor kept the bike and threw a springer front end on it, gave it a blue paint job and cruises it around the neighborhood maybe once every 2 weeks. Mind you, this is an old geyser type hoss riding around. Its hysterical, but I'm glad he kept it.

I'll see if I can get some pix to show of his. I am still working to get mine on the site.

...to be continued.

Welcome.
I was down your way today. Santa Fe Springs. I did live in Norwalk for a short time as a kid.

Welcome from the 909. I lived in Norwalk as a kid, my grandfather lived in the one ways.

Latest posts

Back