Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker

Thanks a lot k-dregg. I'll dig into it, but i'm guessin' a hard time because I dont' have some of the machinery...
and Cobra.. I catch your drift but I'll try it. I'd like to go as cable-free as possible.
Keep rollin'

Hey there guys.
Not much has happened since the last post. I've got the pulley for the engine's shaft and I'm working on the throttle.
Besides that I'm getting a little nervous, I mean mad :x at the guy re-spoking the wheels. It's been a month now...
The thing is that without my rear wheel I can't seem to do much progressin, because:
- can't assemble the clutch because I can't tell allignments
- can't assemble the foot brake because i'ts a drum brake attached to the rear wheel
- can't finish the rear mounts (the tripod stands) because I don't know the lenght of the hub's shaft
- can't progress with grinder, bondo, primer and paint because I want to test everything first..
....!

FINALLY!
I've got my wheel set.
Now I can progress!

Keep rollin'
PS-Just spoted that imagehost.com was shut down and there's a message saying that the images will stay online for a few months and then maybe they will be deleted...

That looks seriously awesome! you're an artist.
what handlebars you running?

LOVE IT!
looks like a real board-tracker :D
it you line up the exhaust with the down tube will it hit/burn your legs while you ride?
awsome job :p

Hey there.
I really appreciate your comments.
As to the handlebars, they came from Nirve, clear sweep I think they call them, and I used them for a while on another bike. These are fliped and chopped about 4 inches. The wheels are regular steel 26" and the tires are 26"X2.125 346's (Basman). The free space in front of the seatpost will accomodate the transmssion (belt, centrifugal clutch and chain). As to the exhaust, I'm not sure yet. It screws on to the exhaust window and has a nut that allows me to choose any direction. I'll have to think about it. Anyway, the exhaust wrap will be a good choice. I just have to find it here.
Thanks a lot for the input guys.

Here is a set of photos on the clutch I'm working on:
I welded a sprocket right onto the centrifugal clutch's outter casing, but I'm a little concerned about the ratio. It has the same teeth that the rear wheel sprocket: What will happen?

I also did the brake:

I'll have to make it better though. I have to put a lot of pressure on it to be able to have a good stop. Any ideas on this?
Thanks a lot and keep rollin'

A caliper brake..Yeah i see that now! Nice recycling! :D

I don't think that changing the wire to a rod would make any big difference, if you don't have a über stretchy brake vire.. But i would look cooler though.. :D

But extending the arm upwards will make the horse shoe pull the wire a longer distance..

It your primary sprocket and final drive sprocket are the same size you will go fast. Since it is custom you may need to experiment with it and be prepared to make a bigger rear sprocket if you need to.

yeah your wheel would be goin the same rpm as your engine,not usually a good idea unless it was a real boardtracker,then id strongly recomend it :mrgreen:

You will need a bigger rear gear like he said over wise you are one to one basically. not a boardtracker you just built a salt flat racer :shock: its all good how many teeth is that? i might have an idea. what about a go kart axle gear i have seen those for the split axles around 90 teeth. and yea you will need to make the arm that pulls the cable longer so it has more leverage. keep going dude

Hey there.
So, I've got a pulley on the engine's shaft that engages the rubber belt on the centrifugal clutch.
Then I've got a 42 teeth sprocked welded to the outter free casing of the cent. clutch engaging the chain that goes to the final rear 35 teeth sprocket.

What do you think?

Oh, I really need advice on this: should I have rubber pads on the engine mounts or is it better to hav'em just bolted down fast?

Thanks a lot guys, and keep rollin'

Man.. just trying to get my head around the gearing makes me dizzy :shock: But i recomend a solid mount for the engine.. My experience is just from two strokes so it might differ from your engine but if i found out that rubber between the mounts just gave the engine room to vibrate, a solid mount might transfer some vibration to your hand but it makes the engine run cleaner so to speak.. Less wobble ans less room for stuff to shake lose..

But i have been looking at the pics of your build and i think you nailed the geo of a true BTR dead on, thats why it looks so good.. Keep it up!

Thanks a lot for the input guys. I appreciate it.
I'll try to keep it as simple as possible. In fact, I would be pleased to build it without clutch, brake or throttle, but then I would'nt be able to ride it :)
Tonight I'll have a difficult task: positioning the 2kg clutch, leveling it horizontally and vertically, avoiding axle torsions. then I'll have to build 3 or 4 brackets and drop weld them. The thing is that it has to be error-free and precisely aligned, or else...
Keep rollin'

Hey there.
If everything goes along as I expect, I'll fire it up on Saturday :D

Today I reinforced the clutch's case because in order to make it cleaner I think I grinded it too much and made it weak:

Finally I mounted the brackets.
this first one almost gave me a headache

then I cruised on

tomorrow I'll drop weld the last one and tear the bike apart in order to properly weld everything.

Keep rollin' and thanks a lot

Latest posts

Back