Hog Boys Boardtracker (Ex-Villiers)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Villiers board tracker

Is there anyway to re-work the mounts for the exhaust? grind it down so the exhaust is a bit closer to the bike? as it sits now i keep seeing it getting caught on something while youre riding.. :)
If you can get it closer straight down would look cool.. Another option is to angle cut the pipe and weld to get it in a bit..

And regarding dampeners for the engine, i think that bolting it down really hard is better.. rubber dampers let the engine move and can sort of amplify the vibrations sometimes..

K-dregg, you're righ about the exhaust. I'll try to correct that tomorrow.
It came out like that because I welded the tube to an original engine's threaded pipe that was a part of the mufler. This pipe has a screw that allows me to direct the exhaust tube where I want.
I'll have to make it look better.
I'll fire up the engine tomorrow and see how it handles with and withouy the rubber pads. It's stance will have to be defined when I pass to the belt and clutch part.

BEAU: The clutch is weird: The shaft on the pulley side has 17mm in diametre and on the sprocket side it has 12mm.

What do you think?.

Thanks a lot for the help and comments guys

Thanks a lot.
It will be challenging, but that's the thrill right?
It's just a bit annoying 'cause I want to see the bike done, and I cannot get through with the painting and all before everything is runnin'..

Anyone has an idea of the iddle rpm on this engine? I ask because of the centrifugal clutch.

Keep rollin'

Thanks Beau. How about the idleing rpm (correctospelling? I mean the lowest rpm before stoping).
My question is if the clutch won't engage even at the lowest rpm. I think that the clutch is designed to start working at ~1800rpm.

Yeah, most of the clutches kick in at 1800 rpm. Idle speed should be a lot lower than that though. You just adjust that on your own.

With a Villiers engine you got the next best thing to a Manx Norton!

stocksucks said:
Hey there!
Is this ratty enough?

Nevermind the fork and tires. I'll have a springer fork and a set of Fat Franks

The challenge now is the transmission, ya know, the shaft-clutch-wheel thing :?

Keep rollin'
the flat rear tire is for 'extra traction' :mrgreen:

i know :mrgreen: my dad once said that back one day when my car had a flat tire been saying that ever since

That's a cool line masterpoop, and cobra, I've got the same feeling over on this side of the shore. I've got no one to ride with. My two best friends love these bikes and come often to my house, but they don't have any. It's kind of difficult and frustrating not having someone at hand to discuss your doubts.
BTW, did you know that it was a man from my town (Sesimbra) that cartographed (correct spelling?) a part of your west coast, including California? His name was Sebastião Rodrigues Soromenho or "Sermeño" as is was written back in the day, and he worked for the Spanish Crown discovering new trade courses to the Pacific Ocean in the 16th century. He died in Mexico City. Some people connect the name of the US "California" to a part of our coastline that is also called "California".

I'll have news for you soon.
Thanks a lot and keep on rollin

Hey there.
The Villiers boartrack racer project has been a bit slow. The thing is the parts I ordered have'nt arrived yet (I think they'l be here on friday through chainreactioncycles.com) and I'm waiting for thursday to pick up the engine of a crashed scooter so I can remove the belt that goes from the engine's shaft to the centrifugal clutch and also this clutch and it's shaft. Once I have this laced up onto the Villiers I can (hopefully) weld a sprocket to the free disc of the clutch and run a chain to the rear drumbrake hub's sprocket.
Also I've decided that the color scheme would be different: cream color (light brown) on the frame and rims; black on the tires and handlebars; red Villiers logo. I think it will be cool.
Having decided this, I had a problem: the Fat Franks are cream, not black. So I swapped them with the Fat Man's 346s slicks and the outcome was this:

I like it. It goes along well with the wood.
Also I've decided not to spend more time looking for a solution to start the engine, or else I will never finish it. It will fire up with a pulley and a rope. Maybe later I can change it.

Also I've reduced the lenght of the headstem and angled it so it would be leveled horizontally .

There is still a lot of work to do and I'm getting bored about having to wait so long.
Updates coming soon (I hope).
Keep rollin'

Back