Hoarding vs. Collecting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mcbike said:
You take a bike of little value and then turn it around into something of value to someone. Most of the time that person doesn't have the knowledge

McBike and everybody else that has been refering to fixing up a bike is still flipping, but more restoring in some capacity, which is really kind of different. I think flipping (with basically no investment) once in a while is just kind of the territory
we all tread through. I guess there needs to be a better term for the people that scour everywhere for stuff and kind of get kicks off of suckering buyers and sellers. Dirty flipping or something.

I think dirty flipping is more along the lines of: You take a bike that nobody there at the time, or as of yet realizes it's worth more than what they are asking, so you omit to make them aware of this fact, then you re-sell it for a profit with no intention of doing anything but sort of victimizing the original seller.

I have been witness to this with bikes and some other stuff I used to collect. I read a story somewhere online about a guy that happened upon an Aerocycle and went on about how it was amazing and it was his dream bike and he got it and couldn't believe it, then goes on to say, then I sold it.

I thought that was really bad for some reason. It wasn't like he said that his daughter needed surgery, it was basically like, the money got to him. :(

Here's one other angle: you see some bike and pass it up or it gets bought out from under you, then you see it getting hocked someplace else. Obviously whoever bought it didn't want it. It gets canibalized and blown apart and makes a couple of people a little richer and ends up in the sweaty hands of some hyperglycemic butterball that can't even ride a bike. I just get real turned off when you see some guy at a swap meet that weighs more than a Honda and has like 15 "colector" bikes and is a big expert on everything but turning pedals.

skoda said:
I just get real turned off when you see some guy at a swap meet that weighs more than a Honda and has like 15 "colector" bikes and is a big expert on everything but turning pedals.
Oh man! I'm trying to get on my chair again 'cause I fell off. :mrgreen: You've got some issues dude... :lol: :wink:

Seriously, I see what you mean. It's a shame when collector's items get into the hands of guys who aren't into bikes as much as we are :cry: In my opinion bikes are made to be used and abused :mrgreen:

:idea: To all of them Honda-sized people: Bikes have wheels. There's a reason for that :idea:

Latest posts

Back