History Channel's 'Real Deal'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I saw it, nice bike too.

I like the show but I guess it could be better, that spiderman necklace went way more that that guy was going to give the owner.

I seen it and I think some of the parts on that bike came from me or simpleman. so Yes he is a member here maybe he will show his face. :D

Next question, I don't have History Channel (or any for that matter, haha) so what is this "real deal" show about?

yoothgeye said:
Next question, I don't have History Channel (or any for that matter, haha) so what is this "real deal" show about?

Basically folks are given a chance to negotiate their best deal with a professional buyer or take a chance at auction. Some people do better at auction and others loose their shirt.

Here's a link to Discovery's Real Deal Page: http://www.history.com/shows/real-deal/articles/about-real-deal

OK, now that I'm up to speed on the show, how'd the bike do? Did it get highlighted in the show or did it just show up in the background.

To make an incredibly long story very short, I had advertized my bike on craigslist and i got a rather perplexing response from a guy saying he'd like to buy the bike, and the buy would be filmed and televised. talked to him a bit more and realized what it was. 3 full long days later, my bike was sold. a lot was cut out from my segment, my girlfriend would attest that i was talking with the "dealer" for over an hour, he rode my bike too. if asked to do it again, i would decline. it was way too much work/time wasted. I can say that "reality" shows are anything but real.

as for the bike - I had it dressed in completely period correct parts when i had it for sale on craigslist. it had truss bars, a rack, drop centers with ND hubs... it was a very nice bike. when told i "might not get my asking price" i planned accordingly.

everything that the "dealer" said was wrong, was actually right, and everything that was wrong he didnt see. I had 3 elgin/mercury tankers at that time and i just bought up as many as i could to get enough correct parts for one complete one.

2dc85fcb.jpg

e7536049.jpg

heres the publicity shot...

302649_10150358169902290_515762289_8132354_1402023292_n.jpg

So did you sell to the buyer or go to auction?

Some of the segments I've seen where the seller decided to go to auction, it was obvious that the seller did not know the audience of buyers at the auction. Nobody wanted the super rare thing-a-ma-jig he had, and it sold low.

Is there any way to evaluate the potential auction buyers if you decide to go to auction.
In your case, could you tell if there were any bike buyers present at auction before you decided?

I'll be looking for a re-run.

lobsterboyx said:
everything that the "dealer" said was wrong, was actually right, and everything that was wrong he didnt see.

Thanks for giving us the scoop! ^ This was my biggest point of contention about the episode. This particular type of "reality TV" is edited so that the "dealer" is placed in the position of the "expert" when in reality said "dealer" was simply talking out his rear.

Lobsterboy, regardless of the heavy editing, you presented yourself and the old bike community well. Nice job!

Did you see this weeks show where a Guy brought in his so called very rare 52 Jr. Javelin and it was solid rust. The dealer offered him $20 which is more then I would have paid for it. The guy didnt take it and went to auction and got $200 for it. I guess the price of vintage bikes went up. and the bike probably was built in the 60 or 70's not the early 50's. what a Joke.

Back