His and Hers Project Time

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked these up off ebay, $75 for both bikes. The plan is a couple of cheap cruisers for the girl and I, but ones we can take for decent rides too, ones we dont have to stress about scratching when we throw them in the car.

Overall they are in good condition - the bottom bracket, headset and brakes are all as new. The shifters are stuffed, as are the seat covers, but they're no biggies.

The plan is to rebuild both of the bikes at the same time, I'll do the work on mine and my girl will do the work on hers (I'll probably help with some of the harder stuff), and we'll have em done to ride for summer. She's really excited about the whole thing, and cant wait to get in and get her hands dirty :D

Hers will probably be mint green, colour matched guards, whitewalls, the 50s beach cruiser kinda vibe. Mine will be primer red with a rack on the back. Dunno if we'll go single speeds, or maybe just go a single chainring and keep the full host of gears on the back.

Matching bikes, right down to the guards and racks
Windstream001.jpg

Hideous plastic chainring guard!
Windstream006.jpg

Plastic guards
Windstream002.jpg

Rack and more plastic guards
Windstream003.jpg

Internal brake cable is very cool though!
Windstream004.jpg

Seat has seen better days ;)
Windstream005.jpg

Both bikes came with side bags for the racks too, these are in mint condition. Gonna be perfect for picnics!
Windstream007.jpg

The bikes Ive got look ugly as, but as this pic shows even a stocker in the right colour looks cool. The frame is halfway between a diamond frame and a cruiser, I really like em.
image.aspx

We picked up a bunch of whitewalls for the GTs, took a while to find some decent whitewalls in 700c but glad we found them.

Windstream008.jpg

The bikes look much better with the whitewalls. Got to take it for it's first ride, rides great - brakes work well and no play or movement in the bottom bracket - sweet! :D Now we'll pull them apart and repaint em and sling em back together. Mine will be a quicky job in red primer spraycan, but still deciding upon paint/powdercoat for my girl's bike. Also picked up a mates staple gun and some staples so we can get to retrimming the seats too.

Windstream009.jpg

Very cool, that's gonna be lots of fun! I know it's working out well for me and Charl :) we love working together on any project!

Stripped the bikes down today, in prep for paint. I don't have a spanner big enough to undo the headset, and dont have crank arm tool, so will take down to the shop so they can pull it all off, then we'll sand em back and paint them. Picked up the paint this morning too, custom mix of mint green for my girl, and red primer for mine.

stripping001.jpg

stripping002.jpg

stripping003.jpg

And the garage
stripping004.jpg

stripping005.jpg

My girl's frame has been about 3/4 sanded, got a little bit of work left on it. I've painted mine in red primer (the final colour), and mocked it up with the wheels and tyres on - looks great :D

Yukon003.jpg

redprimer004.jpg

redprimer005.jpg

I'm a big fan of white walls and I agree, what you've done does look great. It's amazing the effect dull paint has on a bike. Keep up the cool work.

Progressing a little bit with my bike. I’ve chucked the seat and rack on to see how they look, and have been playing with stem/bar combos. I’m liking this the best, it will give me a little room when Im riding. I’ll have to get a threadless adaptor so I can run the mountain bike stem. At this stage the bars will remain silver, but the stem will be painted black to match the rack. Seat will be retrimmed in leopard print. In the last pic you can see the new single cog chainring.

Windstream012.jpg

Windstream011.jpg

Windstream010.jpg

Windstream014.jpg

hey! you know what? that looks pretty darn cool! 8)

if you live in an area that doesn't have many hills.......
you can ditch the shifters and deraleurs, swap the rear cluster for a BMX freewheel, shorten the chain, and leave the brakes.
just a thought. those sleds would make a pair of nice single speeds 8)

but if you two are climbing hills...... scratch that idea :lol:

so, lets see the seats! great job so far!

Cool project! Since those frames have vertical dropouts, I wouldn't get rid of the gears on the back. They're also handy if your girlfriend gets tired so she won't have to struggle and end up hating the bike.

Hugo

We'll be running a single chainring on the front, and keeping the gears on the hub. Its a nice compromise between the practicality of a geared bike and the looks of a single speed. Plus we've got single speed beach cruisers for when we just want style :wink: 8)

Back